Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, in need of some help. This is on my 2000 Ford Focus SE Wagon.

So, a couple of years ago my radio finally really bit the dust. At the time I commuted about an hour each way ot work in the morning, so I swapped in an aftermarket unit. All good, no problems since.

This last year, my cigarette lighter/accessory power socket stopped working. No biggie, I don't really use it for anything. Fast forward to today, finally got a dashcam, plug it in and nadda. I finally remember the issue, and start to try to take the dash off to check the connection etc.

Here's the rub. The new radio doesn't have the horseshoe tabs to pull it out. As far as I can tell, there is NO way to take it out. Checked the manual, no info. Is there any way to get in there w/o removing the radio?

Sorry for the long question,
Slim.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
You have to preplan having to remove it later and mod to be able to do it. BTDT. On another '00 wagon.

There are tabs that took the place of the original rails that locked, I filed on mine to lower them and make sure radio stayed in place but dislodged pretty easy when needed.

You won't get things out likely without breaking parts and the radio MUST be out to remove the front cover around it.

Go to Crutchfield (where I got my radio) and look around, the radios can use a couple of tool plates say .025" thick and maybe 1/2" wide and 4 inches long with a 90 degree bend on the outer 3/4" as a handle. You fish them inside the close fitting outer case the radio fits into and fumble around there until you get radio side tab pressed down and loose to come out. Mine worked fine but you have to loosen up the opening a bit when you first installed the outer sleeve/space filler that takes up the DIN space there.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts