Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i follow my friend in his 2002 cougar, in my 2005 dtec 2.0 focus, i have trouble keeping up with him. what is my best and cheapest way to remedy my situation?

·
Registered
431 Posts
How bad does he walk you?. Exhaust and intake is a easy way to pickup 5-10hp, and will cost in the $500-$700.00 for the two.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, you can keep ur eyes open for a used header as well. whats ur budget?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
im in terrell man i saw your in flowermound. how fast does he pull away from you? and i would recommend an intake tune and exhaust. ive been doing tons of research. ive bought the fswerks cai and notice a difference simply from that. getting the other 2 next week

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Just boost it and dust his ass [thumb]

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Just boost it and dust his ass [thumb]
haha i must agree with this. sure a kit such as the fswerks turbo kit for the 2.0 dura only puts out about 190hp and about 175 torque stage one or you can go stage 2 and get about 220hp and 230 torque, sure those seem like low numbers as compared to stangs and other cars these days but here is where it gets ya haha the 2010 sedan like i have only weighs 2600lbs!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i looked at that intake and it looks like it puts the air filter in the fender well. thats good for cold air, but when it rains and you hit a big puddle, the high flow air filter will let water straight into the cylinder and water log your engine, so be aware of that my friend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive done the exhaust by removing the resonator and putting a high flow muffler on. the thing about headers is that i have to have a catalytic converter for my car to pass inspection. my budget is about 300 give or take 50.

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
It's a bit over your stated budget, but cheaper than a turbo and more effective (briefly) than i/h/e mods: NITROUS!

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Nitrous is generally illegal to have hooked up, check your local and state law. Its also a poor alternative to real mods as it can destroy an engine if used incorrectly and too often and has to be refilled after a few uses.

A good intake and tune is a far better investment.

Truth is, easy bolt on parts are never going to get you that far. If you really want the advantage, a turbo is your only option.

remember, the cougar is making 170hp, and 165ft lb torque.

You are 40hp and 35ft lb short of that. Making up that kind of power is going to cost you quite a lot.

Finally, the driver makes a big difference too. Taking your car to the track and having an instructor give you a few lessons will really give you an edge. Knowing how to handle your car is an easy way to make up valuable time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=100

Not sure if anybody has run this kit with the focus, but i read of a few zx2's running this when I used to have one and followed a zx2 forum. Didn't hear of any problems with it, and it's less than $400

But then again you probably want to run a tune with it, and that's gonna put you way over budget.

·
Registered
271 Posts
well if you want quick and cheap power that fits your budget, as chrissy said nitrous might prove beneficial, but it's hard on the engine. and as far as the CAI is concerned i haven't had any issues with water ingestion. and i don't live too far from you and i have driven in torrential downpours with mine. now i know that TX is a different state and they might be a little more strict with the emission laws there. but i also have not had any issues with getting my car inspected and passing, with the CAI or my exhaust and soon to be header. but again LA is a bit laxed when it comes to emissions. but really to get decent power on this car FI is the most sound way to go. you can achieve some good power stayin in N/A as well but there's more money and parts and time that goes into it. where as with FI you can get a kit get a tune bolt it on that is if you stay within the 8-11 psi range and you're good to go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cheapest? Get a 2002 V6 Cougar! Sorry about that. If he has the V6 then he's putting out 170hp and you'll need to boost yours. Intakes and such aren't going to make up the difference.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
i looked at that intake and it looks like it puts the air filter in the fender well. thats good for cold air, but when it rains and you hit a big puddle, the high flow air filter will let water straight into the cylinder and water log your engine, so be aware of that my friend.
Haha you sound like me before i finally bought it. i was so paranoid of that and that was the only thing holding me back. but after doing some more research its actually nothing to worry about. the filter is located in your front bumper and protected by the splash guard under the engine. The Only thing that could possibly cause a issue was if you went through a puddle deeper than 9inches and had it held wide open throttle.. otherwise the intake is not sucking in with enough force to inhale the water through the filter. and even then it would have to go up about a foot and a half of the intake tube directly up and that would take a ton of force. Tons of people who are up north and have much worse weather conditions when it comes to ice rain and snow have no issues at all with the intake. You know how hot our weather is here lol and i would highly suggest the true cai due to that alone. it makes better gains and is even cheaper than the others!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts