Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. Earlier today I was driving and I came upon a speed bump. I didn't speed over it. I slowed down and went slowly over it. However, as I did, I suddenly lost acceleration. I pressed on the accelerator and nothing happened. The engine didn't rev or anything yet it was still on (radio and AC were still on, so it's not like the car shut down). The brakes still worked so I pulled over to the side of the road, stopped, and turned off the car. When I turned it back on, the problem went away.

What happened? This scared the hell out of me and now I'm scared any bump in the road will cause it again.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The only immediate symptom of a stall would be steering getting stiffer, unless you have a tach. to see rpm (assuming automatic trans.). (quick but not instantaneous stiffer steering)

Even brakes would feel normal initially until vacuum present is used up.

Mechanical throttle linkage on an '05, so there isn't an electronic failure possible with that.

Anything in particular make you think it was still running not mentioned?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only immediate symptom of a stall would be steering getting stiffer, unless you have a tach. to see rpm (assuming automatic trans.). (quick but not instantaneous stiffer steering)

Even brakes would feel normal initially until vacuum present is used up.

Mechanical throttle linkage on an '05, so there isn't an electronic failure possible with that.

Anything in particular make you think it was still running not mentioned?
The steering did not get stiff at all. I was able to steer the car easily to the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Beyond odd, sounds more like it was out of gear but there should have been evidence of the engine revving if that was the case.

Tach. in the car? Or were you going just by sound.

Fishing for answers, how about checking the throttle cable to make sure it's not excessively loose & could have temporarily come out of the pulley guides.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beyond odd, sounds more like it was out of gear but there should have been evidence of the engine revving if that was the case.

Tach. in the car? Or were you going just by sound.

Fishing for answers, how about checking the throttle cable to make sure it's not excessively loose & could have temporarily come out of the pulley guides.
When I pressed on the gas, I looked at the tach. It didn't move at all when I pressed the accelerator. I could hear and feel the engine vibrating so it was on.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First post I mentioned "assuming automatic trans.", is that the case?

Engine quits with a manual, everything stays working because of momentum - drivetrain keeps the engine spinning even though it isn't running. No oil light, no loss of power steering etc..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First post I mentioned "assuming automatic trans.", is that the case?

Engine quits with a manual, everything stays working because of momentum - drivetrain keeps the engine spinning even though it isn't running. No oil light, no loss of power steering etc..
Yes. It's an automatic transmission

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Cable or the spring has slipped/broken on the throttle body IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts