Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is my quandary. My 2001 ff zx3 has a check engine light, advance auto tells me it is the app sensor, Not trusting them completely, I look at my pedal and sure enough, there is a sensor to the right of the pedal. I am confused due to the fact my car still has a throttle cable, a mechanical link, no drive by wire, so why is this sensor there? What does it do? I absolutely get the drive by wire set up, but don't know why my car has this sensor. Any knowledge or educated guesses welcome, thanks

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
2000-2004 is all Mechanical the Throttle position sensor is mounted on the Throttle body..
from 2005 and up is all Fly By Wire which the throttle sensor is part of the accelerator pedal

if you getting issues with throttle position and TPS errors then its the one at the side of the throttle body as they are known to go bad..

if you buy new you will most likely have to replace the pigtail as the new fatter version doesnt use the old style plug where the tps was a thin one.

please take a picture of said sensor as ive never seen a sensor placed on the throttle pedal of a 2000-2004 the only things wired to the pedal should be a brake switch and an auxiallry clutch switch (the clutch switch was relocated from the clutch on manuals to the brake pedal of the automatics) they are either usually green and grey, green and black black and grey combinations

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
That's what I thought, mechanical, but I will take a picture when I get off work.
ok im braindead today those switches should be on the BRAKE pedal there should be nothing on the accelerator

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so now I feel foolish. Went out to take photos of said sensor but someone moved it. Lol, simply a lever with the throttle cable attached. So now back to get the code read. But thank you

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
OK, so now I feel foolish. Went out to take photos of said sensor but someone moved it. Lol, simply a lever with the throttle cable attached. So now back to get the code read. But thank you
be thankful then =D at least its not a ghost sensor or something added that is not needed or shouldn't be there =D

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
If that moveable I'd be restraining whatever it is away from the gas pedal to keep from getting tangled up in it. Could be a safety issue there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts