Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
candih: Specifically which problem are you referring to?

If you are referring to juddering, I would possibly be looking at the engine mounts, although i believe there is a fuel pump recall on 2014's...

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
candih - more reading around here will help.

Don't know your production date, but there's one warranty extension (8/100) covering cars through mid '14 (clutches/seals/programming) and another for different troubles covering the TCM for all cars (10/150).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Issue is happening to me now. I do have am extended warranty with a 2014 Ford Focus titanium. Issue is I'm stationed overseas. I can't go to a regular dealership or else I would have to pay in euros up front and get reimbursed once I get back to the states. I did get the car in the states. Any help please.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Only a Dealership can help, talk to one there or wait until the car returns to the States are your only options.

Have you contacted a Dealer yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shuttering / jerking on acceleration..

Hi there, I'm having the same issue with a 2013 Focus Titanium.
I bought it new and have only put 12500 miles on it in two years.

The shuttering / jerking on acceleration started shortly after I had bought it. Brought it to a dealer who let their transmission tech look at it - he confirmed that there was something wrong and reset the "computer" to allow it to "readjust to spec". None of that is very specific, nor means anything to me.

Anyways, it's still happening and is very infuriating seeing as I bought a BRAND NEW CAR.

When accelerating from a full stop, the car will feel, as someone else on this forum described as, "driving over a rumble strip". Then it will rev higher than it seems like it should before slamming into second. It's quite jarring.

After that, it's all smooth as you continue to drive, just as long as you don't need to stop again.

Has anyone found a definite fix for this? Or at least found out what the issue is? I want to approach the dealer with some actual information and not just what I "think" the car is doing.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anyone found a definite fix for this? Or at least found out what the issue is? I want to approach the dealer with some actual information and not just what I "think" the car is doing.
I've been told by Ford that the shuddering/juddering/stuttering "will never go away". I have a 2014 with 47k miles and they've tried numerous software patches on mine.

Last year a girl from Ford told me to trying being "a little aggressive" when accelerating from a stop. I told her that wasn't very good advice, especially if I'm in a church parking lot with old folks & children around, and my wife in the passenger seat. The option of stomping on the gas is still listed in Ford's official "cheat sheet" that they give to service techs to help them dance around the problem.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi there, I'm having the same issue with a 2013 Focus Titanium.
I bought it new and have only put 12500 miles on it in two years.

The shuttering / jerking on acceleration started shortly after I had bought it. Brought it to a dealer who let their transmission tech look at it - he confirmed that there was something wrong and reset the "computer" to allow it to "readjust to spec". None of that is very specific, nor means anything to me.

Anyways, it's still happening and is very infuriating seeing as I bought a BRAND NEW CAR.

When accelerating from a full stop, the car will feel, as someone else on this forum described as, "driving over a rumble strip". Then it will rev higher than it seems like it should before slamming into second. It's quite jarring.

After that, it's all smooth as you continue to drive, just as long as you don't need to stop again.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum, RButs!

When was your most recent dealer visit? I want to check into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2016 Ford Focus and I love it, but a few days after I bought the vehicle the stutter began, I previously had a Ford Fiesta 2012 and it had the exact same issue, it was even a recall problem for the model; so I took my Focus back to the dealership and the guy from service tried to convince me that it was a normal thing for the car to do, that i just needed to accelerate more when i start moving from a stop but I don't want to have to do that all the time, so they took the car in and "fixed" the issue. The problem was solved for about 2-3 days and the stutter began again and its been 2 weeks since and its gotten progressively worse. I called in again for a second service, they claim that since the car has a manual transmission on an automatic clutch it will always do that; the car was working perfectly fine when i bought it, had I known that the car had this issue I would have never bought it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
... had I known that the car had this issue I would have never bought it.
Welcome to the club. Waiting for Jan 1, 2019 when my 2014 Focus is paid off so I can trade it in on a Subaru.

This was my 4th consecutive new Ford purchase since 2005 and I'm switching brands.

My trick is, I let up on the gas pedal when it starts shuddering, then hit it again. Repeat until the shuddering stops. It's annoying and hard to imagine where the Ford engineer's cranium was when he designed this system, but it seems to work.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
This is hard to believe - but I'm sure it's true.

You had a Fiesta and didn't like the transmission, only to replace it with a Focus that has the EXACT same one?

No "recall" on either BTW - you can read about extended warranties for earlier ones here but nothing for the 2016 that I've heard of yet. It's only the later production 2016 versions that have the latest clutch pack they're using for repairs now.

Sorry to burst bubbles, but it's a frying pan to fire thing - newest have a better rep than older, but model to model there's no difference as they use the same parts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No "recall" on either BTW - you can read about extended warranties for earlier ones here but nothing for the 2016 that I've heard of yet...
Not to nitpick, but local dealers call FSA's and TSB's "recalls" all the time.

Even though "recall" is a legal term used by the Federal Government and by Ford Motor Company, when a dealer mechanic tells a customer that a repair is No Charge because "it's a recall" the customer simply hears what they are told.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not to nitpick, but local dealers call FSA's and TSB's "recalls" all the time.

Even though "recall" is a legal term used by the Federal Government and by Ford Motor Company, when a dealer mechanic tells a customer that a repair is No Charge because "it's a recall" the customer simply hears what they are told.
Yea, they are technically warranty work.

Getting a TSB or an FSA fixed outside of warranty is very hard without opening the pocket book. It's why I haven't gone to get my PCM flashed (minor update on early ST's for "rough engine idle")

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I am writing as I just purchased a used 2014 Ford Focus SE a few days ago and noticed this problem from the begining. When I go from stopping point and accelerate between 0 and 10 mph is where I get the shudder. I am wondering if this is normal and just need to learn tricks around this to get it to stop or if I truly need to have it checked and if there is a fix? I am financing this car for the next 72 months so it has to last me. This shudder is very disturbing not to mention annoying for myself and my passengers. I have a dealership warranty from where I got it problem is I don't want to drive the two hours to get there. I will also say the car only has 31,000 miles on it and I have quite a bit of each ford warranty left so if I need a fix now is the time to do it. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do ? Also if this can be fixed is that covered by ford warranty? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thankyou

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hello,
I am writing as I just purchased a used 2014 Ford Focus SE a few days ago and noticed this problem from the begining. When I go from stopping point and accelerate between 0 and 10 mph is where I get the shudder. I am wondering if this is normal and just need to learn tricks around this to get it to stop or if I truly need to have it checked and if there is a fix? I am financing this car for the next 72 months so it has to last me. This shudder is very disturbing not to mention annoying for myself and my passengers. I have a dealership warranty from where I got it problem is I don't want to drive the two hours to get there. I will also say the car only has 31,000 miles on it and I have quite a bit of each ford warranty left so if I need a fix now is the time to do it. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do ? Also if this can be fixed is that covered by ford warranty? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thankyou
Take it to your local Ford dealer if it's still under the 3/36 warranty. You may have 5k let on the mileage part of the warranty, but you need to find out the in service date for the 3yr part.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hello,
Thankyou
Needs new clutches. Take it to a Ford dealer.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do I go about finding out this in year warranty date ? Also is there a way to check my warranties still available myself? I was told when I bought this car that there was an open recall on it when I asked about if it's something I would need to have fixed I was told no that recalls can just stay open for up to 10 years? Should I be worried about the recall? Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you register your vehicle at owner.ford.com you'll see a warranty section that should show your warranty effective dates. The site should also show additional information about recalls, TSBs, warranty extensions, etc...

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just got a 2015 Ford Focus SE with the studdering when you accelerate from a stop. I feel like it has gotten worse since we picked it up a few months ago, however when we took it in to the dealership, they said it's normal. I'm in no means a car guy, but this does not feel normal. I feel like it could be a safety issue or something could happen and it break down on the side of the highway. Has anyone had a fix for this?

·
Registered
497 Posts
We just got a 2015 Ford Focus SE with the studdering when you accelerate from a stop. I feel like it has gotten worse since we picked it up a few months ago, however when we took it in to the dealership, they said it's normal. I'm in no means a car guy, but this does not feel normal. I feel like it could be a safety issue or something could happen and it break down on the side of the highway. Has anyone had a fix for this?
It's not normal. They need to test the car. Set a appointment at another dealer for a shudder test.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts