Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update

I ended up taking my car to the local ford dealer for its Yearly inspection and to check out the acceleration issue. It sounds like this is an incredibly common issue and ford is well aware and has several fixes. My issue however is more serious and I was told not to drive my car. If I did and something happened it wouldn't be covered by warranty since it's been diagnosed. The big problem here is that the parts required to fix it are on back order for 27-30 days! Sounds like a big problem.

The kicker...since I didn't buy the extended warranty the won't give me a loaner.... I was fortunate that my dealer is incredibly helpful and realizes that 27-30 days to get a part is unacceptable. They've given me a car for 20 days and hope to have it fixed before then. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
416 Posts
my 2002 is doing what you described. i have no idea what it is. I changed the fuel filter and it was filthy. it ran fine for a few miles then it started back up again. ive been told it could be a clogged catalytic converter so im in the process of checking that out but im having issues getting the stupid head shield off, tight space.
since yours is a 2002, you might have a failing fuel pump. I'd check that. How long has it been since the car has had a tune up? Plugs, plug wires, air filter, oil change etc.?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
It sounds like this is an incredibly common issue and ford is well aware and has several fixes. My issue however is more serious and I was told not to drive my car. If I did and something happened it wouldn't be covered by warranty since it's been diagnosed. The big problem here is that the parts required to fix it are on back order for 27-30 days! Sounds like a big problem.
Good morning Caraelizab,

I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager to work with you throughout this process. Please send me a PM with your full name, daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
FordService I've sent you a PM but it is not showing up in my sent folder. Could you confirm it was recieved.
Good morning,

I did indeed receive your message, Caraelizab, and sent you a reply a few minutes ago. Check your inbox. [cool]

Let me know if you have questions.

Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Crystal I wanted to let you know my car is fixed and all is good. The rear seal was leaking and leaked fluid onto my pressure plate (my car is an automatic but this new tranny has clutch and pressure plate like a manual that auto engages and disengages when I stop and start which helps save fuel) the pressure plate and disk were slipping while trying to re engage, hence the shuddering. Only a tranny tech will find it

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Crystal I wanted to let you know my car is fixed and all is good. The rear seal was leaking and leaked fluid onto my pressure plate (my car is an automatic but this new tranny has clutch and pressure plate like a manual that auto engages and disengages when I stop and start which helps save fuel) the pressure plate and disk were slipping while trying to re engage, hence the shuddering. Only a tranny tech will find it
Glad to hear this. [8D] Always here if you have questions.

Todd

·
Registered
1 Posts
acceleration issue/question

I've been reading through the posts to find an answer to an acceleration issue I am having with my vehicle. It's a 2012 Focus sel with 41,000 miles. At slower speeds (through parking lots, accelerating from a stop ect.) there is a a great deal of vehicle "shudder" almost as if the vehicle is ready to stall out.

What results, if any, have others had in investigating the cause of this?

(I am also experiencing the AC cooling issues that I have read elsewhere on the internet)

I don't want to waste time with a dealer if these are common and "acceptable" issues...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I've been reading through the posts to find an answer to an acceleration issue I am having with my vehicle. It's a 2012 Focus sel with 41,000 miles. At slower speeds (through parking lots, accelerating from a stop ect.) there is a a great deal of vehicle "shudder" almost as if the vehicle is ready to stall out.

What results if any have others had in investigating the cause of this?

(I am also experiencing the AC cooling issues that I have read elsewhere on the internet)

I don't want to waste time with a dealer if these are common and "acceptable" issues...
Hey stewart34,

I'd like to see these concerns resolved for you. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership; I'll look into options available on my end.

Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had the same issue for 2 years. After numerous visits to the dealer it was finally fixed by replacing the clutch and computer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I also got an email from ford service when I first posted my issue, but nothing ever happened. You have to be persistent with your service department. I went to storms ford in southampton, ny. You may not be able to go there but your dealer may be able to contact them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 2013 Ford Focus Titanium for a year and a half, 27k miles, and have made several visits to two different dealerships concerning this issue. I've noticed 3 things on a regular basis: the shudder (which seems to be getting worse) that leads to a hesitation when accelerating, a grinding or rattling sound (which I've been told is an actuator and is completely normal...I don't buy that), and I've actually experienced the car pop out of gear a few times. I've been told that nothing is wrong with the car. There are times where I'm nervous to make a move in traffic because I'm afraid the car will hesitate enough to where it won't accelerate fast enough. I am worried that once my warranty expires, something will be wrong. Wish this problem would be fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here!

My 2013 Focus jerks like this also. One dealership told me it is normal for this transmission to feel like it does when you are pulling a trailer and gave me a piece of paper explaining it. But, the paper said it was for manual transmissions. Mine is automatic. Another repair shop told me that it is because of the car adjusting to the driver, and when I have different people drive it has to re-adjust. He also said the car would give a code if something was wrong. I have just put up with it but wondered if it will totally break down. My dad is driving it today and insists that this is NOT RIGHT and that I need to bring it in again. I hope this can get fixed because I planned to keep this car 5-7 years. Besides, no one would want to buy it with the jerking even if I tried to sell it! It only has 16,000 mikes on it. Reading these posts helps me know I need to push the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had some of the same issues with my 14 Focus. Ford replaced the main seals, then the clutch; it's been in and out of the shop four times since September. Replacing the clutch helped with the shudder; however, I could still tell something wasn't quite right and it started making a weird noise on startup. Ford identified the rear exaust cat. mount was improperly installed. Fixing it made a very noticeable diffrence in the way my car performs at low speeds. I'm no mechanic, so I have no idea why it makes a diffrence, but I hope this info is helpful.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My 2013 Focus jerks like this also. One dealership told me it is normal for this transmission to feel like it does when you are pulling a trailer and gave me a piece of paper explaining it. But, the paper said it was for manual transmissions. Mine is automatic. Another repair shop told me that it is because of the car adjusting to the driver, and when I have different people drive it has to re-adjust. He also said the car would give a code if something was wrong. I have just put up with it but wondered if it will totally break down. My dad is driving it today and insists that this is NOT RIGHT and that I need to bring it in again. I hope this can get fixed because I planned to keep this car 5-7 years. Besides, no one would want to buy it with the jerking even if I tried to sell it! It only has 16,000 mikes on it. Reading these posts helps me know I need to push the issue.
Welcome to the forum!

The PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission is designed to provide the feel and efficiency of a manual transmission with the easy driving of an automatic. The PowerShift transmission automatically engages the next gear in anticipation of the shift, providing seamless shifting. It also has neutral idling, which disengages the transmission when sitting at idle, and helps to maximize fuel efficiency.

Because the PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission operates similarly to a manual transmission, you may notice some characteristics that provide a unique driving experience from the automatic transmission you may be used to:
  • When you take your foot off the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down you may perceive a light to medium braking sensation as the transmissions makes adjustments.
  • During the break in period, the transmission may shift quicker or harder. This will smooth out after a short period of time.
  • You may hear mechanical noises when driving.
  • You may feel a difference when pulling away from a stop.
Some vehicles may also be equipped with Select Shift, which allows you to manually shift gears by selecting the plus and minus buttons on your vehicle's toggle switch when the vehicle is in the Sport Mode (S on the shift column).

You can find more information in your Owner Guide and by watching this video.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my name is mike i have the same Shutter issue it got even worse when i installed the K&N air filter on it, I have a 2014 Focus SE

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2012 Focus SE. When I accelerate from a dead stop or under 5 mph, the car jerks or stutters, like it is missing or clogged up. Sometimes it's more pronounced than others. I was having other issues which were fixed with the recall adjustment, but then this issue started after that visit. I took it to the dealer this week and they cannot find the problem. I had the tech ride with me so he could feel what I was feeling and he mentioned misfire. But the computer doesn't show anything. They called technical support but because no one else has reported this issue, they don't have a "fix". Logically if my car is the only one having this issue, then there is something wrong with my car! I am very frustrated. They suggested that I change my driving habits, so I tried that this morning and I still have the issue. I have an hour commute one way every day in stop and go traffic, so I get this stutter 99% of time. It makes me want to run the car off a cliff.
I just purchased a 2013 Focus and immediately began having the same problem. I took it in to see what the problem was. The lady riding the courtesy shuttle with me had the same problem with her Fiesta. She was told it was because Ford tried to do some quick trick with the onboard computer to turn a manual trannie into an automatic when they designed the car.
After servicing, my car still shutters a little on acceleration but doesn't buck anymore. Since they adjusted the computer, it now gets 4-5 less miles per gallon. I love the car otherwise. I feel really bad knowing this is a common problem with Fords and I'm just going to have to live with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I posted a reply but it didn't get posted as I had to create an acct. first then my msg. disappeared. Anyway, I have the same problem with the 2013 Focus I just bought. I took it to the dealer a week after I bought it. I rode in the courtesy shuttle with a lady who had the same problem with her Fiesta. She was told it's bec. Ford did some quick trick to convert a manual transmission to an automatic using the onboard computer.
I got the car back from the dealer. It still shutters a little but doesn't jerk like it did. Only now it gets 4-5 mpg less than it did. I love the car otherwise. It's too bad this is something I'm just going to have to live with as it seems a design flaw and not fixable.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 Focus and immediately began having the same problem. I took it in to see what the problem was. The lady riding the courtesy shuttle with me had the same problem with her Fiesta. She was told it was because Ford tried to do some quick trick with the onboard computer to turn a manual trannie into an automatic when they designed the car.
After servicing, my car still shutters a little on acceleration but doesn't buck anymore. Since they adjusted the computer, it now gets 4-5 less miles per gallon. I love the car otherwise. I feel really bad knowing this is a common problem with Fords and I'm just going to have to live with it.
Are you planning on going back to your dealer to have this addressed again? Please let me know; I'll look into additional resources.

Meagan

21 - 40 of 93 Posts