Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Focus SE. When I accelerate from a dead stop or under 5 mph, the car jerks or stutters, like it is missing or clogged up. Sometimes it's more pronounced than others. I was having other issues which were fixed with the recall adjustment, but then this issue started after that visit. I took it to the dealer this week and they cannot find the problem. I had the tech ride with me so he could feel what I was feeling and he mentioned misfire. But the computer doesn't show anything. They called technical support but because no one else has reported this issue, they don't have a "fix". Logically if my car is the only one having this issue, then there is something wrong with my car! I am very frustrated. They suggested that I change my driving habits, so I tried that this morning and I still have the issue. I have an hour commute one way every day in stop and go traffic, so I get this stutter 99% of time. It makes me want to run the car off a cliff.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2012 Focus SE. When I accelerate from a dead stop or under 5 mph, the car jerks or stutters, like it is missing or clogged up. Sometimes it's more pronounced than others. I was having other issues which were fixed with the recall adjustment, but then this issue started after that visit. I took it to the dealer this week and they cannot find the problem. I had the tech ride with me so he could feel what I was feeling and he mentioned misfire. But the computer doesn't show anything. They called technical support but because no one else has reported this issue, they don't have a "fix". Logically if my car is the only one having this issue, then there is something wrong with my car! I am very frustrated...
Hi pjhogan,

I'd like to get your regional Customer Service Manager involved. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime contact number; I'll get the ball rolling!

Thanks,
Crystal

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 2012 Focus SE. When I accelerate from a dead stop or under 5 mph, the car jerks or stutters, like it is missing or clogged up. Sometimes it's more pronounced than others. I was having other issues which were fixed with the recall adjustment, but then this issue started after that visit. I took it to the dealer this week and they cannot find the problem. I had the tech ride with me so he could feel what I was feeling and he mentioned misfire. But the computer doesn't show anything. They called technical support but because no one else has reported this issue, they don't have a "fix". Logically if my car is the only one having this issue, then there is something wrong with my car! I am very frustrated. They suggested that I change my driving habits, so I tried that this morning and I still have the issue. I have an hour commute one way every day in stop and go traffic, so I get this stutter 99% of time. It makes me want to run the car off a cliff.
It's your DCT....find a new dealer who knows what they are doing. I don't understand why dealers don't know what is wrong, or don't want to fix it, because Ford pays them to do the work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My new 2013 ST started doing exactly that right after I got it. It's got 2000 miles on it now and it is getting worse. It acts just like a manual transmission with a clutch chatter from a warped pressure plate or bad flywheel milling. It's bad enough that passengers are asking what's wrong with the car, and it's not doing the drivetrain any good. It's going back to the dealer next week for the first time and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My new 2013 ST started doing exactly that right after I got it. It's got 2000 miles on it now and it is getting worse. It acts just like a manual transmission with a clutch chatter from a warped pressure plate or bad flywheel milling. It's bad enough that passengers are asking what's wrong with the car, and it's not doing the drivetrain any good. It's going back to the dealer next week for the first time and we'll see what happens.
Hi magnumea,

I want to get your region's customer service manager involved. Shoot me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll make sure your CSM gets your info. They'll reach out to your dealership and coordinate efforts on a resolution.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Crystal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took it to the dealer and they said it was a normal acting DCT. Truth be told, it was not acting up by the time we took it or when we got it back, just barely shuddering on take off, but not enough to really notice. We are repeating our 440 mile trip up to Va. on Thanksgiving, which is where it acted up last time. If it does it again, we will take it to the local dealer up there and see if we can get them to drive it and report to our dealer at home. On a positive note, we love everything about the car - 40 mpg, it can get out of it's own way, and doesn't get smaller the longer we drive it, handles great and has coil springs and shocks in the back instead of coilover struts. That way, if the Queen Bee overloads it going to visit the grandchildren, I can put air lifts in the back springs and adjust it up.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Took it to the dealer and they said it was a normal acting DCT. Truth be told, it was not acting up by the time we took it or when we got it back, just barely shuddering on take off, but not enough to really notice. We are repeating our 440 mile trip up to Va. on Thanksgiving, which is where it acted up last time. If it does it again, we will take it to the local dealer up there and see if we can get them to drive it and report to our dealer at home. On a positive note, we love everything about the car - 40 mpg, it can get out of it's own way, and doesn't get smaller the longer we drive it, handles great and has coil springs and shocks in the back instead of coilover struts. That way, if the Queen Bee overloads it going to visit the grandchildren, I can put air lifts in the back springs and adjust it up.
Hi magnumea,

Thanks for the update. Just a heads up - I responded to your PM. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Crystal

·
Registered
8 Posts
We went back to Va. and it mostly behaved. I noticed it does better for my wife (who drives it daily) than me, but I drive automatics with both feet. If I let off the brake and wait until the roll control or whatever it's called activates the 1st gear clutch, which only takes a second or so for it to start creeping forward, the start-off is a lot smoother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 focus with the exact same problem, did your issue ever get resolved? I am taking my focus to the dealer this week but I was curious if you were able to get your issue resolved.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2012 focus with the exact same problem, did your issue ever get resolved? I am taking my focus to the dealer this week but I was curious if you were able to get your issue resolved.
Let me know what you hear from your dealership, bigworld. If you need any assistance from me, just send a PM my way and I'll research some ways to help.

Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been considering buying a Focus, test drove a couple (3) and noticed the same issue in all the vehicles.
Has there been any diagnosis on what the problem is? If so, what is it? Has Ford found a consumer-acceptable resolution?
I'd hate to buy it and be plagued with drivetrain issues from the outset.

D.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Wavsine has the best solution:

"I had the same problem but I loved my Focus so here is how I fixed it without getting rid of the entire car:

Open the hood and take the radiator cap off your DCT Focus and hold it in the air. Have a friend drive the old car out from under the radiator cap.

Have the dealer drive a shiny new Focus with 5 speed manual transmission under the radiator cap and screw it back down on the new car.

Problem solved."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Issue acceleration issue

I have the same issue with my 2012 focus. It sometimes is very jerky as you start going from a stop. Other times it's just fine. It almost feels like you are driving over rumble strips. Has anyone found a permanent fix?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2012 focus. It sometimes is very jerky as you start going from a stop. Other times it's just fine. It almost feels like you are driving over rumble strips. Has anyone found a permanent fix?
Hi Caraelizab,

Swing by your dealership so they can check this out. Additionally, I'm happy to do what I can to help. To get started, send me a PM with your name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

·
Registered
47 Posts
my 2002 is doing what you described. i have no idea what it is. I changed the fuel filter and it was filthy. it ran fine for a few miles then it started back up again. ive been told it could be a clogged catalytic converter so im in the process of checking that out but im having issues getting the stupid head shield off, tight space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update

I ended up taking my car to the local ford dealer for i
My yearly inspection and to check out the acceleration issue. It sounds like this is an incredibly common issue and ford is well aware and has several fixes. My issue however is more serious and I was told not to drive my car. If I did and something happened it wouldn't be covered by warranty since it's been diagnosed. The big problem here is that the parts required to fix it are on back order for 27-30 days! Sounds like a big problem.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts