Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for the pic of the oil drain plug location on my new 2012 Focus, via Google, Well, there is a Jiffy Lube post, i click on it and dozens of horror stories of simple Jiffy lub oil changes gone horribly wrong. No oil, stripped plugs, ruined engines.. driveways covered with leaking oil [rant][rant][rant]
I usually do my own oil changes, but reading this stuff makes me sick.
NEVER take your ride to a fast oil change place.
(I even had one tell me they would change my oil for free... (i was dropping off used oil and filters..) i had to say 'sure.. and then run like hell... [nutkick] no way would I EVER let these monkeys touch my ride.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I never had any problems with valvoline and went there regularly. I went to Jiffy Lube once and well I was not happy with the results.

My headlights had been burning out on the drivers side repeatedly, and I thought that no matter what I was doing, I was getting oil on the bulb. So I brought the bulb when I went there and they put it in for a few bucks.

Later on I noticed they never put the hook back to hold it in place, and after a week of use the bulb had shifted and melted a hole in the headlight assembly so now water could get in there easier as there was a big hole right above the bulb...

·
Registered
532 Posts
...and that my folks is why you take your car to an authorized Ford dealer where they have the tools and the know-how to take care of an oil change.

[:D]

·
Registered
94 Posts
I won't even let Ford change it since most of those guys in the quick lane oil change area have the same training. I've seen those places overfill and cause the engine to smoke. I had a bobtail truck once and they didn't check that the old gasket came off. So it double gasketed and blew the seal under load. I.E. Chevrolet dealer charged $6k to rebuild the engine and the oil change place had to pay for the damages.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm in the same camp. The ONLY people allowed to work on any of my cars is the Ford dealer. Ford actually has specific training for QuickLane techs, they use Ford parts/oil, proper torque-styx (for rotations) etc. Things can happen anywhere when the human factor is entered, but I'm not too into having the guy who worked at Micky D's last week, working on my car this week.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'm in the same camp. The ONLY people allowed to work on any of my cars is the Ford dealer. Ford actually has specific training for QuickLane techs, they use Ford parts/oil, proper torque-styx (for rotations) etc. Things can happen anywhere when the human factor is entered, but I'm not too into having the guy who worked at Micky D's last week, working on my car this week.
+1. It doesn't take much to over-torque a 15mm bolt if you give a McDonald's employee an impact gun. (Which we know shouldn't be used to tighten...)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What "tools and know-how" is required to change oil and filter??
You have to be kidding...
It takes NOT trying to unscrew the oil drain bolt the WRONG WAY and snapping it clean off.
It takes not taking off the transmission drain bolt instead of the oil drain bolt.
It takes putting the bolt in straight when finished, so it is not cross threaded.
It takes not air wrenching it in so it is stripped out in half a second, and then they stick a rubber cork in, AND DO NOT TELL YOU.
It takes actually screwing in the drain bolt tight, so it does not come loose after fifty miles, and all the oil drains out, and your engine is ruined.
The filter actually has to be uscrewed the correct direction. so it is not twisted apart and rip the inner threads completely out of the engine.
Then the new filter has to be put on straight not cross threaded, so it works. The new filter has to be tightened down, so all the oil does not leak out later.
The filter has to not be overtightened, so it is impossible to remove, and so it does not leak anyway.
The correct size filter has to be put on.
Then they have to actually PUT oil into the oil filler,and not some other place.
Then they have to put in NEW oil, and not antifreeze, or brake fluid, or windshield washer fluid. And hopefully they manage to put in the correct viscosity, and not straight 40 wt into a small 5W20 engine.
Then they have to actually put in the approximate correct amount. Way too much can be as bad as none. Then they have to put the oil cap cover back on.
And they should not have spilled three quarts all over your engine, instead of gettin it into your engine.
And after all thet, you wonder why some folks are too stupid to manage to do the job?
ALL of the bad things mentions have been done and are being done by idiots working at fast lube joints. [gunfire][wrenchin]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
if you can find the select few that know what they're doing, jiffy lube is alright.... even if their oil change prices seem a little inflated.

but otherwise, just a little bit more than common sense should be good.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I just took my car to jiffy lube for an oil change and the next day I have what sounds like a worn pulley and my idle dips to below 500rpms an my oil light flickers like mad! Both occured @ the same time a day after jlube works on the car.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I just took my car to jiffy lube for an oil change and the next day I have what sounds like a worn pulley and my idle dips to below 500rpms an my oil light flickers like mad! Both occured @ the same time a day after jlube works on the car.
Coincidence? I think not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ford Coupon online:
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?couponId=SR01&pagename=Owner/Page/CouponPrintPage

THE WORKS FUEL SAVER PACKAGE. $39.95 OR LESS.
• Oil Change • Tire Rotation • Brake Inspection • Multi-Point Inspection • Fluid Top-Off • Battery Test • Filter Check • Belts and Hoses Check
Up to five quarts of Motorcraft® Premium Synthetic Blend oil and Motorcraft oil filter. Taxes, diesel vehicles and disposal fees extra. Hybrid battery test excluded. See participating dealership for vehicle exclusions and details.
Expires 9/30/2011.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I took my Mom's car to a Jiffy Lube on Snelling Ave in St. Paul, MN and when I got it home to give it a good wash I noticed oil dripping on my driveway. I put it on my ramps and found the drain plug was only finger tight and the oil filter was leaking and covered with oil. I will never take any car to a Jiffy Lube ever again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
"Iffy Lube" is what I call them. The only thing about the Focus is the shield that seems to be removed to access drain plug. But I haggled to get service included with my car for a few years, so the dealer will do all of it. Besides, I don't exactly have a garage, and doing this on the street isn't fun anymore.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Haha our CDN $ has been at par or higher than the USD for more than a year and our "Works" package is only $59.99 + 13% tax! That's what drives folks up here to venture off to the Jiffy lube type of joints.

http://www.ford.ca/app/fo/en/parts_and_services/offers.do

Ford Coupon online:
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?couponId=SR01&pagename=Owner/Page/CouponPrintPage

THE WORKS FUEL SAVER PACKAGE. $39.95 OR LESS.
• Oil Change • Tire Rotation • Brake Inspection • Multi-Point Inspection • Fluid Top-Off • Battery Test • Filter Check • Belts and Hoses Check
Up to five quarts of Motorcraft® Premium Synthetic Blend oil and Motorcraft oil filter. Taxes, diesel vehicles and disposal fees extra. Hybrid battery test excluded. See participating dealership for vehicle exclusions and details.
Expires 9/30/2011.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jiffy Lube has a special test for finding new employees who will turn into car terrorists: They specialize in destroying cars in under thirty seconds as a way to get back at a society which made them into Jiffy Lube dolts.
[hatchet]

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've taken my previous cars to places like Jiffy Lube, Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc for oil changes. Never had any serious issues, they always actually changed the oil and filter (I always check myself before I leave the place). Jiffy Lube was a bit expensive though, but quick, and they try to sell you a lot of extras which I refuse. Walmart forgot to put my dipstick back in all the way a couple times.

My last car went to the dealer more frequently for changes and certainly my new one will be going to the Ford dealer for service as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts