Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the AC from their car? I've had the car for about 3 years and I've only used it only 3 times. I usually just drive with the windows down. The car's pretty much the base model apart from the AC, so I figured remove it the AC and lighten the car up a bit. Thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
Best to leave the A/C in place in case you ever plan to resell the car. You will only save around 50lbs and will get minimal gains. If you hell bent on deleting it, take the car to an A/C repair shop and have them evacuate the R134 from the system then bring it home and start removing parts. Before any of this, make sure you can rout a belt around the other accessories without the A/C in place; if you can't you'll have to install and idler to fill the space of the compressor so the belt can be run properly.

Do not just crack open a condenser line and let the refrigerant leak out. It is not safe for you or the environment.

Happy modding,

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
You will lower the value of the car by 50% with no a/c, sooner or later you may want to sell it...........unless you are willing to yank the entire dash you only lose 50% of the a/c weight by dumping what's under the hood. The rest under dash also has your heating in it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you really want to lighten up the car then remove the spare tire (get a AAA membership) the rear seat and the passenger seat. Much more weight reduction than fiddling with the A/C. And when people ask you to bum a ride you can tell them "no can do I pulled the interior to save gas" and they won't think your just a putz who doesn't want to give 'em a ride.

Save the stuff though in case you want to sell it in the future.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
The A/C is also used in defrost mode and can come in handy there depending on conditions even if you don't use the A/C in the summer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like a bit of a mess. My dad just pulled the AC off his mustang because he never used it, so I figured I could make my car AC delete to save a little weight. I plan on keeping the car until I have to pull the trans or engine, then try an find a 302 small block for it. All in due time I guess

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
'The A/C is also used in defrost mode and can come in handy there depending on conditions even if you don't use the A/C in the summer.'

I totally forgot about that part and absolutely right. If anything it is understated, under the right conditions the car can be undriveable without that dehumidifying going on. Think a windshield that fogs up inside to be 100% unseeable through and you wipe it off and back like that in 15-30 seconds. EXTREMELY dangerous. BTDT back when I was totally stupid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts