Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my ac doesnt cool down very well, so i bought 2 cans of ac refrigerant, and poured them in the ac tube wich has a green cap by the driver's side headlight. And that made it worst, now it wont cool down at all. Does anyone know what I can do?

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
well if u put to much freon in then thats a problem,,,id suggest taking it to the shop seeing as u seem not to know what ure doing...u cant just take two cans and stick them in there...lol....theres a certain amount u have to have,,to much and the ac wont work right and not enough and it wont work right...so first u would need to know how much it takes...then u will need some kinda gauge to measure the freon with....then u can add or take out whats needed,,,if ure more then 1/2 a lb of freon low..then i would suggest taking it to get looked at seeing as u would have a leak somewhere and u need tools for that...just my suggestion (tractor mechanic)

·
Registered
281 Posts
i would take it to the dealer and hace them check it out. could be a leak in the system it should be coverd on a new car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definately take it back to the dealer, especially with an 05, you must still have bumper to bumper warranty left. Unless you have been driving like 10000miles a month or something.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah, I have never heard of pouring refrigerant into the ac system. Also I do believe that you need to add oil to the ac system. You will usually need oil if you hear the clutch turning on and off most of the time when your using the ac.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Don't tell the dealer that you added refridgerant, and it might be a good idea to see if you can release some of what you added to the system since a good tech will definately wonder why you have more than should be in the system. Mine doesn't work very well when it's extremely hot outside. R-134 is just not as good as the R-12 was- even in the systems designed for it.

Your high pressure limit switch is cutting the power to the compressor clutch. Putting refridgerant in a system is not intelligent unless you've pulled a vacuum on the system and monitored it to be sure there are no leaks. The very best you could hope for with a tiny leak was that it would work for a week or a few days before you'd need more. The claims that a product "seals up leaks and prevents new leaks" are partially true, but they forget the part about "stops up orifice tube, collects in evaporator, and inhibits lubrictation in compressors". The only way to fix a leaky AC system is to either A) locate the leak, and repair the leak, vacuum test, recharge system- or B) replace all seals, orifice tube, vacuum test, recharge system.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
good going.

your a/c system is covered under the full bumper to bumper warrenty.

they are most liekly going to make you pay for this now, becuase they will be able to see that the system was over charged. you most likely are going to be told that you need an evaporator, condesnor, compressor, orface/hvalve, and all lines. good lukc

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
we dont know for sure that its over charged...maybe it all leaked out already if there was a bad leak or maybe it was low enough that the two cans did not overcharge it...we just dont know enough info on it to help,,but i do know this,,,i took my 05 to the dealer for ac and they charged me by the hour to find the leak,,they said if there was no leak then i would have to pay but if they found the problem then warrenty would have to pay,,,so i ended up with a 80$ bill for them to tell me i was 1/2 lbs low on freon..i asked where did it go...he said...they just do that....haha....anyways...unless they find a problem as in a part is leaking or something broke...u will have to pay,,i even have the extended warrenty on mine 10y/100,000 miles....bumper to bumper....and this just happened to me about 5 weeks ago

·
Registered
383 Posts
It is possible that over time, the refrigerant could've leaked out to a lower level that would cause it to not work to it's full extent.

It could be that the shaft seal on the compressor that has been leaking over time. There is a TSB for that concern and affects a large range of Ford vehicles.

#1 priority is take it to the dealer and have them diagnose the problem for you, since your vehicle is covered under your new vehicle warranty. Do not mention that you added refrigerant, and I doubt they will ask, but if they do it may be a good idea to tell them how much you added. It was an honest mistake.

·
Registered
383 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
^^
trust me they will know, especially when they pull 2+lbs out of a 1.3 pound system
Ha ha, I work for the dealer, you'd be surprised what passes as warranty, or what the tech might miss in the diagnosis. But if it's been leaking out, there might not be as much in there. [:D]

I had the leaking shaft seal, and instead of replacing the seal, he replaced the compressor because it was easier, and my compressor was noisy, and my vehicle had been in an accident so some A/C parts had already been replaced...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
05-BLACK-ZX5 said:
Ha ha, I work for the dealer, you'd be surprised what passes as warranty, or what the tech might miss in the diagnosis. But if it's been leaking out, there might not be as much in there. [:D]

I had the leaking shaft seal, and instead of replacing the seal, he replaced the compressor because it was easier, and my compressor was noisy, and my vehicle had been in an accident so some A/C parts had already been replaced...
well at least when i worked for volkswagen, what passed for warranty or not was up to us and us alone, unless it was an engine and it had to be approved, but you'd be surpised even then.

and vw pays good time for everything. but all i can say is im glad im not working there anymore..

synopsis of my day
8am - oil change
8:30am - brake light swtich recall
9am - oil change
9:30am - hazzard swtich recall
10am - oil change
10:30 am - oh whats this? a check engine light? :( just an ignition coil recall :(

yeah it sucked ... :(

edit: after my accident and not replacing anything or even looking over the bechicle besides the busted headlamp braket, it blows much colder now than it did before

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Well first if you dont know how to work on a A/C you should not touch it, there are all types of guages and tools you need to PROPERLY work on one.

Second its an 05 why didn't you take it to the dealer fisrt?

Over charging a system will destroy the system and wicked is basicly right about all the parts you will need if it has been destroyed.

Good luck getting ford to cover it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
i sure hope the epa doesn't get a hold of this thread, because there are big fines for improerly handeling of r134a . HEHEHEHEHE

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
^^

No kidding I used to install A/C systems in homes and I think if you have picture or video proof of the comp releasing Freon into the air its a HEFTY fine for them a snip to their licenses (which they will never be able to get back) and a reward for you.

I shoulda taken the offer and ratted out my last ass of a boss.

·
Registered
90 Posts
yeah the factory AC is crap in these cars. I took mine in thinking it was broken cause it barley did anything on a hot day. all was fine apparently! My 95 Tbird was ice cold as soon as you started the damn thing. a 10 year old car! this thing takes 10 mintues of driving just to get decently cooler than outside temps!

Jake

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"My 95 Tbird was ice cold as soon as you started the damn thing"

Nothing quite like a big compressor on a big engine to give lots of A/C power quickly, even at idle.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
134a is enviromentaly safe...letting it into the air is not a problem...what the other guy is talking about on house ac is r12,,that is not safe to let into the air....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts