Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience AC failure this early? Dealer flushed and recharged the system and added diagnostic dye in case of another failure they will run a black light over it to check for small leaks as they couldn't find any at present.I was never impressed with the systems performance when new,it was working, but on a hot day took several mins to cool and was never 'too cold' above 90F,acceptable,not impressive...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Anyone else experience AC failure this early? Dealer flushed and recharged the system and added diagnostic dye in case of another failure they will run a black light over it to check for small leaks as they couldn't find any at present.I was never impressed with the systems performance when new,it was working, but on a hot day took several mins to cool and was never 'too cold' above 90F,acceptable,not impressive...
The first step in the evaluation/diagnosis of the performance of any AC system is an accurate thermometer* to check vent outlet temperatures - just putting your hand in front of the vent is too subjective. You want to see what the outlet temps are across a range of conditions - outside air temp/humidity, fan speed, recirc on/off, vehicle in motion or not, etc. Ultimately any good shop should be looking at those temps in addition to using a manifold set to look at the system lo and hi pressures - this is the only way to properly and thoroughly evaluate an AC system.

*I like the UEi T220/3 but there are plenty of others on the market (although I would avoid those 1" dial ones they sell at Autozone, Harbor Freight, etc). I have one in each of my Focuses that I leave in the center vent all the time so I can check/evaluate both AC (summer) and heater (winter) performance.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/UEi-Test-Instruments-T220-3-T220-3-1-3-4-Pocket-Dial-Thermometer

Good luck
Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts