Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good tips or know of a good tutorial for diagnosing why my AC has stopped working on my 2007 Focus?
I can't seem to find any good sources or info on this.
My AC no longer blows cold, but the clutch still engages, the freon is full, the fan still blows and the heat works fine.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I used a gauge to see the amount by connecting to the port in the passenger wheel well.
That is low side only. You need the know low and high sides and even then gauges only tells pressure not quantity. The only way to tell quantity is to weight the gas which requires a specific piece of equipment made to remove the gas and weigh it.
Is the system getting cold at all? (vent thermometer temp?)

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
357 Posts
Two ideas...

Idea #1
I’d get a UV light and some put dye in your freon.

Use the light to clean off anything that could be mistaken as leaked freon out of the engine bay (from both above and under the car - being 100% sure the compressor is clean).

Once you’re sure the engine bay is clean, put the dye in your freon, run the AC when you drive the car for the next few days then use your UV light to look around for freon that’s leaked.

If your UV light doesn’t pick up any leaked dye, then we can go from there.

Idea #2
Another idea is the temperature control gauge selector cable broke and has become stuck on ‘hot’ temperature.

If the cable has broken, you can turn the temperature select knob all day long but nothing is happening on the back end - making you think you changed the temperature to ‘cool’ when you actually didn’t because of the broken cable.

If your issue is the latter, it’s ~$50 for the part and an hour or less to fix after contorting yourself into multiple weird angles.

·
Registered
18,241 Posts
Actually you CAN tell if the a/c system is full using the low side only and what static pressure of the system is. In summer it will be 90+ psi but I have never memorized winter pressures. They would be slightly lower.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For Cold Weather places they put in A SET OF PLASRIC Vertical Louvres/ some kind of "opening and shutting thing" .....to keep cold air from blowing straight on the engine block. ...on my 2012 SE model.
It also blocks air from passing thru the AC condenser radiator.......
.......USELESS IN AZ ...I TOOK MINE OUT YEARS AGO.... ac worked great after it was removed

Anyone have any good tips or know of a good tutorial for diagnosing why my AC has stopped working on my 2007 Focus?
I can't seem to find any good sources or info on this.
My AC no longer blows cold, but the clutch still engages, the freon is full, the fan still blows and the heat works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts