Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, not the time of year for many where air conditioning is a big issue for many, especially up here in Canada, but once it starts getting cold, rainy, and snowy, AC problems mean fogged up windshields! I've been experiencing intermittent AC issues since january, where even in the midst of winter my AC would seem to randomly stop working while on defrost (or any setting) and make things difficult to see. This sort of went away, but became apparent again this summer. The AC seemed to mostly work on the highway, and when it worked air was ice-cold. In stop and go driving it seemed to work poorly. But it was inconsistent even with this.

Well last week my AC stopped completely. I had been at a loss to explain these odd symptoms, and thought maybe it was a block in the condenser or piping somewhere. Well, I was walking towards my car in a parking lot, and noticed a loose hanging wire in front passenger-side area. I look under to find a loose connector - upon closer inspection, it was a connector to the AC compressor.

Aha.

So after plugging it back in and starting my car, the AC started like a champ. I haven't had a chance to see if it fixes the intermittent issue or not, but I suspect the connection had been loose for a long time. My theory is that during higher engine speeds such as those on the highway, more consistent power allowed the low voltage connector to make contact the compressor, turning it on. Under stop and go, it just didn't have the juice. I hope it should be fine now.

So moral of the story - always check the electrical connections first when troubleshooting. Sounds obvious, but it's not always.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Sounds like you might have it...Always check the obvious first !! I"ve been caught out like that as well...Before pulling the carb on a bike, always make sure there is gas in the tank !! LOL...Had a mechanic do that once at our shop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts