Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a funky smell coming from the AC the other day and the next day the AC went out. I took it to a local shop (recommended by a family car guy) and they checked for leaks, dyed it, etc. They told me that the evaporator was busted and that the part required to fix was $723 from the dealer. When I checked on that it was for the entire AC assembly where the actual evaporator piece that needs replaced is $73 online. The entire quote was $1600 for the parts an labor to replace it at the shop. Am I crazy to think this is way more than needed to replace a small piece of the AC assembly?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
I would look deeper into what it takes to get to the part there, you may get a whopping surprise there. The entire dash may well have to come out.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part itself was priced via the dealer at $723 because it is the entire housing, cases and everything. The dealer doesn't sell just the evaporator piece. I am not too worried on the labor because the dash does need to come out. I would rather get the actual piece needed (around $75-80) and pay $600 for the labor than $700+ for the entire assembly and $600 for labor.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
This is a case where a Shop that would be warrantying their work would use the Factory part - even if expensive.

Don't know the source of the "online" part, that's quite inexpensive for an evaporator. The other thing to keep in mind is that removing & replacing that piece IN the case is extra labor, and I don't know offhand if that HVAC assembly is easily repairable.

Taking a chance & replacing just that part would be more for the home mechanic who isn't counting hours, and can do it again differently if it doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Evaporator core is $49-73 on RockAuto. The part itself is not expensive. It's all the things you have to do to get the AC working again that are expensive.
1) Capture refrigerant, drain system
2) Replace orifice tube
3) Replace evaporator core
4) Recharge system

That's not getting into how complicated actually replacing the evaporator core will be. Usually there is a lot of dash disassembly required. I'm not sure what all is included in Ford's part, but it might be worth it to save on labor alone if there is some large part that has to be disassembled to get to the evap core itself. What you think you might be saving when buying a less inexpensive part might cost you more in labor that it's worth- and there is always a potential for improper re-assembly. Someone might think- OH, well that wouldn't be my fault, and my mechanic would have to fix that for free. Please raise your hand if that has ever happened to you so that you can be counted.......... I hear crickets.......

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Depending on how constructed the evap case may well have to be cut apart to get evaporator out.

Depending on how the evaporator looks inside the tubes, you may well not need to change the orifice at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts