Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I read the AC thread, but it seems to be specifically about cooling.

My 2004 ZTW was running fine yesterday until I went to drive home in the evening. Turned on the car and noticed no AC. I've tried on all four speed settings, the fan doesn't blow at all. AC on or off, recirc on or off, heat or cold, nothing happens.

Is there something I can try before resorting to the dealer? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I'll state the obvious: check the blower motor fuse. Check your owner's manual for exact location and amperage.
Owner's manual here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2280
Thanks for the reply. I checked the suggested fuse - 40A transparent one, like the ones in the internal fuse box. Unfortunately it looks fine. No sign of being blown.

Any other things I could check myself?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be the blower motor or blower resistor. blower motor is under the glove box.
So, most the threads I'd read previously about the blower motor resister had the fan still working on level 4. Could a blown resistor equally cause no fan on any setting?

If so, it looks like a cheap part that I could replace myself.

Is replacing the motor itself much more difficult? I don't see much in the way of instructions from a quick Google search. Most just point to changing the resistor.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
So, most the threads I'd read previously about the blower motor resister had the fan still working on level 4.
That's correct. That would point to something other than the resistor; namely, the switch itself or, less likely, the motor, if fuses check out. The lower fan speeds are controlled by running current through the resistor. At full speed, the resistor is bypassed.

btw, check the "recirculated air/AC fuse" in the passenger compartment as well as the "heater blower motor" fuse in the engine compartment fuse box.

Then test the fan switch. With key in run, the electrical connector to the switch should be providing 12V.
If it is, then bypass the switch with a jumper and see if the blower fan works. That would confirm the switch as faulty.

I suspect you have a simple blown fuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw, check the "recirculated air/AC fuse" in the passenger compartment as well as the "heater blower motor" fuse in the engine compartment fuse box.

Then test the fan switch. With key in run, the electrical connector to the switch should be providing 12V.
If it is, then bypass the switch with a jumper and see if the blower fan works. That would confirm the switch as faulty.

I suspect you have a simple blown fuse.

Okay, that was very strange. I went out and checked the fuse you mention. It was fine. Put it back in, restarted, same problem.

Read through the manual and spotted fuse 36 - A/C switch, Hazard flasher,
Instrument cluster. Figured that couldn't be it as the hazards were working, and the instrument lights were working, including those for the AC.

Pulled the fuse anyway to check. It was fine. Put it back in, restarted and the AC sprang to life.

Don't know how long it will last, or whether unseating and reseating that fuse actually made the difference. Not sure what else could be or have been wrong.

Anyway, for now your advice worked - even if not quite in the way intended.

Thanks - at least for now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts