Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my ZX3 with the AC option and I'm wondering if anyone knows about doing an AC delete? Is there a kit out there, or do I just bypass it with a shorter belt or what? Not sure.

·
Registered
178 Posts
just get a new belt and re-route it...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you guys tried this? If I put a shorter belt on and bypass it, what happens if the AC is turned on?

With bypassing the AC, does anyone know how much power is free'd up? I figure it's probably not too much, but worth a try. Every little bit helps, I guess.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
they say about 5% of power is free'd up...if you turned on...nothing would happen. just normal air would come from the vents, the compressor won't run so remove the components while your at it...no reason for a "ac delete" kit

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Yes removing the components will free up a significant amount of weight.

As far as rotating mass, who knows how much power can be freed. Try it and find out.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
hmm sounds interesting, being a texan im somewhat used to the heat, and as long as i have heat im good....

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
yeah i have yet to find a shop around here that dynos that i like, alot of them claim to be focus friendly but in the end they dunno much about our car

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
mofocus said:
yeah i have yet to find a shop around here that dynos that i like, alot of them claim to be focus friendly but in the end they dunno much about our car
Ummm its a fwd car like any other, strap it down, run it, voila dyno'd.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
yeah i know, but they all want to haggle me, they give the mustang guys free runs when they buy parts, since i have a focus they want to charge me and too damn much i might add

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
the only gain you will see is if you take out the whole system and save weight. there is no reason to bypass the compressor. when the A/C is off, the pulley on the compressor is just free wheeling. It isn't taking any power. If your going to race, just don't turn the thing on!! Even with the A/C on, when you go wide open throttle, the compressor is turned off by the computer. The A/C is engaged by a electrical clutch. there is no drag when the A/C off

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice Vanace. If I was planning on modifying the car "no holds barred" (like my mustang) I'd probably pull the system out. A lot of work though. Since it's my daily driver, and I'm just running it in H Stock, think I'll leave it then. Take the rear seat out, replace the front seats with some Cobra seats, and throw some Kumho MX's on (205/50R15). Looking forward to throwing it into the corners. Nice light car. The roof seems a little high though. It's a very tall car compared to most sport compacts. You almost want to chop the roof down. Have to try some lowering springs some time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nice light car. The roof seems a little high though. It's a very tall car compared to most sport compacts. You almost want to chop the roof down
If you ever decide to lower the roof. I'm sure everyone on here would like to see it.[:)~]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doubtful, way too much on my plate to do a mod like that, but by the time I install those Cobra seats I bet there'll be like 10" headroom left. Yikes!

I think this thread is way off course now. Ha! (D.N.F., again...)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Enjay Racing said:
It's a very tall car compared to most sport compacts. You almost want to chop the roof down. Have to try some lowering springs some time.
The new Civic & Ralliart are bubbly too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think this thread is way off course now. Ha! (D.N.F., again...)
Sorry.[8]

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
i like the ceiling high, why i got the focus, and im sure alot of ppl did, anyway Focal i actually foud one not too long ago that was the cheapest i think it was 65 for three runs.......dont remember if that was per run for three runs or what , but the others were quite pricey, and by the hour was pretty steep as well, the one i was going to go to was booked almost every stinking day i tried to go , i think that was Dallas Mustang (www.dallasmustang.com) alot of their stuff aint to cheap for that matter....wal mart needs dynoes.......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts