Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 focus and have never really checked out why the Air Conditioning does not work well in the heat of the day. When I got the car about 2 years ago the problem existed then but I never checked on the problem because I was in a cool climate area and didnt need to use the AC at all. Now I have moved to the mid west and I noticed this problem. The AC is Ice Cold in the morning but as the day goes on and the weather heats up it never gets cool enough. Its bad enough that I might as well not even have it on. I found the low port and tried to recharge the freon but it seemed ok according to the gauge and I didnt have to add any. Does any one have any suggestions? Is this a normal problem or should I take it to a sevice center. P.S. It is not under warranty any more.[?|]

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
get your AC recharged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off thanks for the quick response!

I hooked up the recharge kit i got from my local wal-mart and it said everything was at normal levels. Should I still get it checked out professionally or is there anything I can do myself.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
sounds like its low on freon dont trust those cheep throw away gauges,,,it dont cost to much to get it recharged

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
You can even do it yourself if you have some mechanical ability, I would just guess its low on refrigerant as well.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well, an A/C system in a car typically doesn't take the air to a certain temperature, it provides a differential temperature drop from the temperature of the air coming in, vs the air leaving the evaporator. So an A/C will naturally "work better" at 85 degrees than at 100 degrees. That is the reason you will typically get more cooling effect if you put the system on recirculate, as opposed to the default "fresh outside air."

I assume that at the hot times you have the A/C system set to "recirculate" to maximize the cooling effect?

P.S. The A/C also will be affected by humidity, since it takes significant energy to extract the moisture from the air, i.e., if it is very humid, the temperature drop will generally be less. Something called a psychometric chart shows the effect of humidity, etc. Once again, a reason to use the recurculate if it is humid outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts