Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 2002 Ford Focus. For some reason when I turn the air on inside the car, it won't work on any setting except 4. AC light only turns on setting 1, 2 and 3, and turns off at 4. It's not completely broken at least, but it's a tad bit annoying to have it on only at Max, please help!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think your resistor block is bad. This is a very common problem.

Here's what you do: Empty your glove compartment and throw all that stuff away. Then squeeze the sides of the glove box together so they clear the dash and the glovebox drops down all the way. Now you can see what's behind it. To the left of the heater blower motor, you'll see a plastic rectangle (about 1"x2") with half a dozen wires plugged onto it. Take the one screw out that holds it and pull it out. They'll be some resistor coils on the backside of this thing. If any of the coils are burned out, that's the problem. I think they're around $12 or so from ford.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Blurv is right on the mark, it's the resistor. Super common. Even if you don't see any of the burning he mentions, replace it anyway. I've had a few where you couldn't even see the issue, but the results were the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I'm holding the block and it's pretty bad......now where would be the best place to get one of these?

·
Registered
134 Posts
the ford dealership

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
yeah, most other parts stores don't bother carrying those things, they are cheap enough from the dealer anyway

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were RIGHT on the money, that's exactly what it was, the AC and Heater work on all settings now......Thanks a bunch guys, a lifesaver!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts