Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am having a batch of problems with my car right now and was wondering if anybody could help out.

On the 11th my battery and alternator went out and were replaced at a cost of over $400.

Yesterday (25th) I washed my car.

Now my horn sounds as if it is muffled or full of water which I could care less about since I never use it.

What really bothers me is that my interior fan is not working any more. It worked fine (i think) this morning.

The problem is that I can press the AC button and turn the controller to positions 1-3 and the AC light stays on, but the fan will not come on. In position 4 the fan starts to blow at full force, but the AC light goes out. I have the same problems with the fan blowing without the AC on as well.

Now what could be the problem with my car? I really enjoy driving my 2002 Focus . It only has 69000 miles (just clocked at 4AM) on it. I would hate to have things keep going wrong on it. But, it seems par for course with Ford, that once things start going bad, everything starts going out.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Fords, and have always drivin Fords, as well as did my parents while I was growing up. But a Charger or Magnum is looking like it may want to be parked in my driveway more than the Focus.

Let me know what you think the problems may be, and where I should look to examine these new problems with the interior air.

Thanks

jeff

·
Registered
288 Posts
It sounds suspiciously like your heater blower resistor assembly is bad. This assembly is used to reduce the fan motor speed on lower settings and is bypassed on the highest fan speed. Usually the thermal limiter on the assembly goes open. A new part retails from Ford for $15.51 and is easily replaced. The following thread shows where it is located:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106631

It can be easily troubleshot with a volt-ohm meter once removed. You must have continuity through the thermal limiter (silver "bullet") on the top or it is defective. Coincidentally, I just had this happen on my 2001 ZTS last week also after washing it.

Let the forum know how you make out. Good luck.

- drjkel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what it was.

i also found this post that really helped too. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24988

You will need:
A. The new resistor pack.

B. An 8mm socket and suitable handle.

C. A flashlight (optional).

Step by step:
1. Open the glovebox, and empty it.
2. Squeeze the sides of the glovebox and drop it down.
3. Locate the resistor pack just to the left of the blower.

4. Squeeze the tab on the connector to the resistor pack and remove connector.

5. Remove the 8mm hex-head screw holding the resistor pack. Once loosened, it can be unscrewed by hand (don't drop the screw!). I found it easier to come from the bottom of the glovebox. Just pull the carpet/liner to the side from the left corner near the floor vents.

6. Lift the resistor pack from the bottom, it swings up and out.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't overtighten that screw!

Took me all of 30 min to do including the drive to the dealership to get the part and to take pictures while changing the part.

Now I just need to figure out what these wires are for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you had this car since new?

If not, then the possibility of keyless entry, remote start, or some other alarms system is possible, or a connection for an aftermarket stereo component.

I had a speaker to preamp adapter behind the factory radio in my 00 zx3 and then rca wires to the 2 15's subs and 600 watt amp in the hatch area. I actually had the shelf that connected to the hatch set so it would cover it completely when dropped and you never knew that setup was in the rear until I turned it on. I had people tell me they could hear me from 2-3 blocks away and it sounded excellent then.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for posting guys! This fixed my issue (speeds 1-3 not working). Simple $18 part I got on amazon.com. Hardest part was getting my hand back there with a stubby screwdriver to get the screw out. On my 2002 Focus SE it was also a phillips head screw not an 8mm bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my heater only working on 4 but also has a loud vibrating noise when the speed control is on 4. I replaced the resistor but the loud vibrating noise is still there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fan air conditioner interaction

this sounds similar (sort of) to my problem - a/c works fine with fan in position 1, but stops working (a/c light turns off) when fan speed is increased

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am have a very similar problem.
My wife went through the car wash last night (not the first time). This morning she had no fan at all but the A/C lights would come on in positions 1-3 and not on 4. I took a chance and changed the heater blower resistor assembly. Here is the weird part. With the heater blower resistor assembly unplugged the fan worked on position 4. I installed the new heater blower resistor assembly with the steps above (great pics). Still no fan on positions 1-3 but still had the fan on 4. The A/C light is still on on positions 1-3 but not on 4.

Could I possibly have the wrong heater blower resistor assembly? The old switch was white and the new switch is black. I got the parts from Lordco.

Has anyone else had this similar problem and what was the fix?

I am leaning to changing the switch next and then the motor.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turns out Lorco sold me the wrong resistor. I got the OEM one from Ford today, plugged it in and it worked like a charm. Thanks, this post was very helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi rskirk, I have exactly the same pbm on my Focus 2003 : a/c works fine with fan in position 1 (but no fan), but stops working (a/c light turns off) at positions 2,3,4. Did you finally find a solution ? Did you replace a part ? If yes which part ? Thks

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
rskirk had a different problem since his fan worked, and he hasn't posted back for close to 4 yrs..

If you have no fan at all, have you checked the fan motor itself yet? You should also have power at it's connector, it grounds through the resistor pack & switch assy..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi 2002_zts,
Thanks a lot ! I replaced the resistor pack and it fixed my issue :)
Issue was : at position 1 A/C ok but no fan, at positions 2,3,4 A/C off but fan ok.
best regards/Jerome

·
Registered
26 Posts
No AC in position 2, 3, 4 and no fan in position 1

I also had the problem jtoutee was having. In my 2003 SE wagon, the blower motor would not work with the fan switch in position 1, but would work in positions 2, 3, and 4. The A/C would only turn on with the fan switch in position 1. The A/C would not turn on in position 2, 3, or 4.

That meant the only time the A/C would work was on the highway when there was enough outside airflow to blow a bit through the cabin even with the fan not working at all in position 1. Or I could leave the fan in position 1 for a while and get a burst of A/C by switching to position 2 until the air heated up!

The solution was to replace the resistor pack. I didn't realize at first but it is actually mounted in a duct toward the firewall (to the left and forward of the blower motor). Apparently the resistor is cooled by the airflow (presumably by the air incoming to the blower).

·
Registered
16,178 Posts
Yes, resistors get plenty hot and no air they fry to melt the limiter, the red part in an earlier pic this thread. You can test by removing that red piece to then jumper the connection with wire and the fan will then work again if the resistors are still good but you lose the fire control doing that, an old blower motor or resistor can catch on fire and the limiter helps stop that.

Don't toss that old resistor, it's a good testing part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having this problem with my 2007 ZX4

I was searching the forums for problems related to AC and fan speeds, and what happened to your car sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with right now. I'm going to get the part tomorrow and see if that's all the fix I need. I'll let you guys know in the next couple of days if that fixes my problem! Thanks to the poster who shared all the amazing pics!

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
if it works on just four then its guaranteed to be the resistor pack.

a tip if your ever working on this part if you ever take the radio bezel off look at your fan selector switch see if its bubbled or melted on the sides if it is change that switch to as my old gold wagon burned out 2 resistor packs because the speed selector switch itself was faulty.. even tho mine was blistered on the side the fan still worked only when it was left for some time blowing did it cause issues with the resistor pack

1 - 20 of 27 Posts