Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was singing in the shower and i had a thought. I know no one has done this yet, but i really really want to!! so,

2.0 L zetec stroked to a 2.3 L zetec
FR head, custom valvetrain.
high compression pistons, right around 11:1 when all said and done.
stage 5 custom crower cams, around a .480" lift.
everything balanced to hold 9k rpm
oil pump,
fuel pump, basically everything to make power that high.

how much power are we talking??

i mean, you can make 200 whp NA w/ the proper cams and mods, don't get me wrong, its a crap load, and it wont be very streetable at all, but w/ a 2.3 L stroker kit added onto that, where would that be?? 230 whp?? i dunno, maybe tom will chime in.

just my thoughts.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
I think that would be sweet even if not streetable and if I had money to throw around.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anything is streetable, just depends on the persons perception of streetable. haha, i would still drive it on the street!! no matter if idle was 3k rpm or not!! lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
A 2.0 L honda s2000 motor makes 240 hp with 11.0/1. Think 230 hp is an achieveable number with the mods listed a lot of money. The only reason the honda makes it streetable is because vtec.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
anything is streetable, just depends on the persons perception of streetable. haha, i would still drive it on the street!! no matter if idle was 3k rpm or not!! lol
^^[histerical] ROFL I could see you doing burn outs at every traffic light and stop sign now.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
who says i don't already!! lol and the s2000 makes that to the crank, not wheels. I'm talking wheels!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
2.0 L zetec stroked to a 2.3 L zetec
FR head, custom valvetrain.
high compression pistons, right around 11:1 when all said and done.
stage 5 custom crower cams, around a .480" lift.
everything balanced to hold 9k rpm
oil pump,
fuel pump, basically everything to make power that high.

how much power are we talking??
Well you can port the head out more also so there would hopefully be more power. I'd think bump the compression even higher as well & of course the 2.3 stroker. With that you may be sitting in the 250s. Which intake manifold would you use or would you switch to an ITB setup? With a tuned ITB setup & some other tweaks you could prolly sit in the 270 range.

This would be a guesstimate as the only NA zetecs I've seen make anything past 200hp are usually Caterham 7s.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it would be a 4 tb cosworth custom intake setup. I already have the ford racing head ported and running 10:8 compression, but i still want it to be on pump gas. 250 would be doable maybe on a higher compression like 14:1 or so i think, who knows!! maybe i will do it! lol

(2000 post!!! I'm kinda on a posting binge today!! lol)

·
Registered
975 Posts
run some alcohol in there and im sure u will make 230 easy.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
A 2.0 L Honda s2000 motor makes 240 hp with 11.0/1. Think 230 hp is an achievable number with the mods listed a lot of money. The only reason the Honda makes it streetable is because vtec.

Hold on there buddy, Vtec and i-Vtec are for emissions, not hp. If you'd dump the adjustable cam timing and set the cam advances the same you'd still see the same peak numbers.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
... but i still want it to be on pump gas ...

Right there is your Kyrptonite. You are limiting yourself already in this "all out build" by limiting your compression options and fuel options.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know, thats the problem, i want to use it on the street!! it will be amazingly difficult, but doable!! if i run on alcohal or 110 octane, its going to be nearly impossible to find gas stations outside of cities!! but i think 230 is a reasonable number!! then if i make it to a rally car, it would be the sickest na one there making more hp than the turbo'd ones!! lol

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
lol don't make me ask this.......2.3L SVT? damn.....

anyway, wow lol, even if you were able to use pump fuel, you'd burn through that in a drive, lol. that's if you're sitting at 3k idle rpms :B. still would be the awesomest na zetec ever :D

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
A couple things...

A. Ur gonna need to get an aftermarket oil pump since the factory zetec pump is likely to fail revving past 7400 rpm or so I've heard...

B. The compression and fuel you are wanting to run is going to limit your highpower goals. If u really wanna make power run methanol. If ur looking for 250ish horse you can still run at the minimum 91 octane but u better have a real good engine management system.

C. If you run all the stuff u described on a zetec and daily drive it ur gonna get a lot of attention from the local police department and highway patrol officers. But it would be a nice thing to know ul take out cars worth 5 or 6 times as much as ur car. "Did I just get smoked by a focus? No it can't be. Wtf"

D. This one is refering to the vtec comment. Vtec was designed to have an engine that was good on gas around town and highway under normal driving conditions and be able to make power up at the top of the powerband when needed and still be streetable. The s2k motors are a prime example. They make about 200-210 horse at the wheels and around 140 ftlbs of torque. The only reason they are as fast as they are is because of the high rpm. All the power is at the top of the tach and with a 9k rpm redline (8500 on the 2.2 liter motors) u get to use all of it

Any real engine builder or professional race team will disable and or completely remove the vtec because its useless on the track. Whether its drag racing or touring car. Having the extra valvetrain u don't use is pointless and limits power due to weight.

I'm not saying vtec is bad its just dumb to have on a motor u don't use the bottom of the rpm range on.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I already have all parts I need in place for this. I don't think i would need stand alone engine management. i would only need a beefed up valvetrain (more than i already have), the custom cams, and the stroker kit and alot of Tom's help!! lol

i also already have revved past 7500 rpm. I'm built for it. i would need internals balanced though.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well you can port the head out more also so there would hopefully be more power. I'd think bump the compression even higher as well & of course the 2.3 stroker. With that you may be sitting in the 250s. Which intake manifold would you use or would you switch to an ITB setup? With a tuned ITB setup & some other tweaks you could prolly sit in the 270 range.

This would be a guesstimate as the only NA zetecs I've seen make anything past 200hp are usually Caterham 7s.
if it ran on pump gas you couldnt go much higher than 11:1 or so or you would detonate. there's no way that a zetec could make 270hp on pump gas is there!? i could see 230ish-240hp maybe with a stroker. thats with it totally maxed out, except for the pump gas and CR b/c of it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The ITB setup is not a cossie part actually, I'm sure they made one though. There are a few choices out there from other companies.

You can by 97 & up octane gas online & have it shipped to your door. Hell as much as I hate the whole E85 uproar it does have a high octane rating.

I swear I saw some 14:1 pistons from someone for the zetec, but I can't remember the manufacturer(sp?). Although Tom does have that option on the stroker.

cwatson411, I'm talking on a higher octane rating say 97. The zetec NA maxed out on pump gas I'd say maybe 245-260, although the motor would see WAY more abuse than with a higher octane model. Like lets say it lasted 90k mi on pump gas(91), with the higher octane(97) & same power level you'd see 150k mi. This figure is made up but you get my point.

You can make a car hit your goal once or make it hit it everyday until its either time for a rebuild or you want to change power options.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I already have all parts I need in place for this. I don't think i would need stand alone engine management. i would only need a beefed up valvetrain (more than i already have), the custom cams, and the stroker kit and alot of Tom's help!! lol

i also already have revved past 7500 rpm. I'm built for it. i would need internals balanced though.
You don't need stand alone engine management, the SCT does everything just fine.
your going to need alot of tom help on this 1.

your going to have to use race fuel if you want up the compression thats high.

I swear I saw some 14:1 pistons from someone for the zetec, but I can't remember the manufacturer(sp?). Although Tom does have that option on the stroker.
The only performance piston like that is Cosworth and that for Duratec only but, you have to bore out the block to 87.5mm
how it fit together with the Zetec rods is another story.

Rob

1 - 20 of 47 Posts