Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a potentially stupid question. I know there is a dash light for ABS, however it doesn't light up ever. The problem with that is both the dealer feature/EPA window sticker and the Ford quality care presale checklist say that my car has them...so I'm a little confused. My focus is a 2003 ZTS. I know ABS was standard equip on the ZTS pre 2002 (it supposedly changed in 2002). Is there a place I can look that can tell me whether they are ABS or just regular brakes? Is there an easily recognizable component under the hood that could clue me in on this? The only reason I want to know this (besides the fact that its good to know) is if the light IS busted I'd like to get the bulb replaced so I'll know when something is up with them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
When you start the car does it comes on like all the other lights and then stays off ?? I know that mine came on when the rear bearing destroyed the abs rim, other then a malfunction or a problem it's not supposed to come on unless you start the car, then it goes out like all the other lights

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The light only come on momentarily during start-up, unless there is a problem.

Check you owner's manual for a description of the proper operation of the light.

If you don't have the owner's manual, download one from http://www.fleet.ford.com

·
Registered
142 Posts
u could always just slam on the breakes and see if they lock up (i know its not the safest test but it will tell u a little more)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha ok guys maybe I wasn't clear, I know there is a light in the gauge cluster. It doesn't come on period and this is the problem. That tells me I don't have ABS, but the window sticker that came with the car (the one all dealer cars display in the rear driver side window that lists features/options/EPA mileage) and the ford quality care presale checklist says that I do. So I want to know if there is any other way to check to see if I do in fact have ABS and the light is possibly burnt out. I know its not common but its happened before to me on a different car (check engine light).

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
do what mightbuyone said!

go to an empty parking lot and go slam on your brakes to see if you have abs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
u could always just slam on the breakes and see if they lock up (i know its not the safest test but it will tell u a little more)
That might not work no matter how hard i hit my brakes they will not lock up. They really suck. I don't have ABS either.

You can look at your front or rear calipers and if they have wires coming off of them you have ABS if not you just have standard brakes.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Guess I'd just pop open the fuse box in the underhood and see if the relay is there for ABS.

·
Registered
199 Posts
To be more specific, wait until it rains, then find a parking lot and slam on your brakes. If you have ABS, it will definitely kick in.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The ABS unit is located below the main fuse/relay box in the engine compartment you should be able to see it with a flashlight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts