Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Focus 2001(98-01) 2.0L Ghia 55Kmiles

Hi all, I haven’t posted before but hope someone out there knows a bit more about this than I do.

The ABS and Traction control lights are lit. I managed to get the OBDii code read, it identified a dtc for both rear sensors but nothing for the unit.

I hooked some flying multimeter leads into the connector from the sensor into the loom, getting a resistance when I spin the wheel (with ignition off) so thinking that the sensor is ok.

With the ignition on not getting any voltage reading at all, never mind fluctuations when the wheel is spinning.

Suspect a problem with the ABS module not supplying power to the sensors; hope to check it out tomorrow. Any suggestions on the best way trace the fault and any method to test the ABS module?

If anyone thinks I’m on the wrong track all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

parkaboy

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not sure about the continuity of the wiring, but my SVT has two separate rear sensors. I would think they would have separate connections, not run in a series. Were you able to test at the abs module for both rear sensors?

There have been several of us that have had the problem you describe, and it turns out to be caused by a pinched/severed cable going to the rear wheel speed sensor, on either side. I personally had this happen on my driver's side wiring, another user had it on his passenger side.

You may want to check that before you go too far. It's a pretty quick and easy check. Look for where the sensor wires come out of the body channel. Mine were in some split loom, but even that had gotten pinched and severed by something. It was pretty obvious once I found it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Try this : diconnect battery for 15 mins, reconnect, ingition on, start engine, do not move the car , if both lights come on again without car moving, chk ABS unit fuse, also chk wiring to the ABS unit (runs partly under the airfilterbox on some of our cars, and this can sometimes eat the insulation on the 3 or is it 4 cables). If the lights stay off until you start driving ,then it can even be the ABS sensor rings.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey i have this same problem. You got the obdII port to come out with a reading? I didnt think it would work since its not a cel.

Was it the wheel speed sensor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts