Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
edit, this is airbag light not abs...my mistake.

I know a lady with a 2002 zx3.

the drivers fender was hit, smashed it in pretty good but it runs drives fine, suspension is ok.

the air bag light has come on though.

shops are wanting $1000 bux to make the light go away, is there another alternative? can a tuner fix this? Is there a sensor or something in this area that may need replaced?

BTW. she needs a drivers side headlight, so if someone upgraded theirs, shed give your unused drivers headlight a home for the right price.

thanks

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
the wheel sensor may be damaged on that side from the impact or the sensor has shifted enough that its unable to read the ABS ring...

I gotta see if and how to get the error codes from the ABS module...

·
Registered
687 Posts
$1000 is a little steep, consider you could replace all 4 wheel sensors for easily less then $40 each.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
if the airbag light is on and staying illuminated theres an unplugged airbag or one of the sensors failed... some cars have side impact some don't does that car have airbags built into the seats or no ???

it may actually be alot easier to get ford to read the code on whats triggering that light

if any of the bags were deployed then there will be alot more then bags that have to be replaced the sensors are designed to trigger the bags on impact and they break theres also the seatbelt charges that will tension the belts when theres an impact sensor

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have this same issue and yes I have seats that have airbags and they have been deployed. The seat was just patched up. Do I need to replaced the whole seat then?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
were the bags replaced or pulled out the void stuffed and the seats repaired ???
or is the spent bag system still in there with the bag stuffed back in ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, I got some more clear info.

the air bag light has nothing to do with the recent incident that led to a damaged fender and headlight.

the air bag light was from a previous accident....the seat air bags did deploy, she took the car to a shop, they claim to have replaced the airbags, she noticed the light was still on, when she finally got a chance to question them, they said, we need 900 to reset the airbag computer and went on to say, they werent sure why the light was on??

thoughts

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
ok, I got some more clear info.

the air bag light has nothing to do with the recent incident that led to a damaged fender and headlight.

the air bag light was from a previous accident....the seat air bags did deploy, she took the car to a shop, they replaced the airbags, she noticed the light was still on, when she finally got a chance to question them, they said, we need 900 to reset the airbag computer and went on to say, they werent sure why the light was on??

thoughts
$900 to reset the Airbag light... hrmm Im sure I can get you a whole new Airbag module for ALOT cheaper that that out of a car thats never had the bags deploy

somethings fishy here tho I need to verify with one of my ford guys on this cuz something doesn't sound right

what I need tho is the exact codes that are stored right now that trips the airbag light

Ive blown the airbag on one of my cars and all I did was replace the bumper and the bag and the light disappeared

there may be the slight chance the belt tensioner not the engine belt, I'm referring to the seatbelt tensioner it has a pyrotechnic device built in that explodes causing the belt to really tension up) were not replaced.. one of the impact, severity sensors wasn't replaced or theres a short somewhere

was the car repaired under insurance or was a standard shop responsible..

Ive read cars barfing out 4-5 airbag codes with the light on and all it was that caused it was a clock spring under the steeringwheel..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
she said it was replaced under warrantee by the dealer (ford). what happened, I guess she bumped the curb with the wheel, no damage to anything, the airbag went off, which explains why the dealer felt obligated. as normally, a dealer woulda said touch chit, take it up with your insurance company.

will these codes be store in the computer, aka, she can zip over to autozoo and have someone pull the codes for her from the usual data port?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
she said it was replaced under warrantee by the dealer.

will these codes be store in the computer, aka, she can zip over to autozoo and have someone pull the codes for her?
o_O wait a sec the dealer replaced the Airbags and equipment but wants to charge to get rid of the codes/light I smell a rat.........

if that was my car I would be parking the vehicle in front of there bays and calling my lawyer/ministry thats a safety issue and if something happens because its failed it won't be pretty

yeah if you can go to autozone and see if they can get the codes that would be great :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well ya know, this recent incident, her fender was smashed in pretty good and the bag did not deploy...hmm

she happens to be an administrative assitant for a law office.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
o.o

if she was pegged on the side the wheel bag won't deploy

My Car was pegged on the front quart and neither my sides or front blew :/

this is very particular.... somethings goin on and it needs to be remedied properly for her safety

1 - 15 of 15 Posts