Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had this problem for quite some time and still haven’t been able to find the cause. I let it be for a while, now I’m back to wanting to figure this thing out.

I had my hub replaced a while back because I cracked a lug. Immediately After the hub was replaced the abs light was stuck on and hillstart assist is unavailable message pops up quite frequently.
I took it to ford they looked it over and couldn’t find the cause, but charges me a butt load of money.
Said the bearing could have been pressed in backwards which might be causing the problem, but couldn’t tell me for sure unless they replaced that themselves.
This doesn’t sound right to me, shouldn’t they be able to find the source or the problem or get a pretty good idea without having to randomly replace parts to see what might or might not solve my problem?

I don’t want to throw more money at parts that don’t need to be replaced, But I want to figure out the problem and have no skill with the computer side of vehicles.

Any recommendations or input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Dealers are the worst! I'm assuming the hub wasn't replaced at the Ford dealer?

Ford should be able to diagnose the issue, it might require some testing and disassembly, but shouldn't necessarily require the replacement of parts to identify the issue.

Problems that are most likely causing this are:
  • Bearing Pressed in Backwards
  • Incorrect Bearing Used (Park Assist Package has a different tone ring than the standard vehicles)
  • Damaged Tone Ring
  • Issue with ABS Sensor
They should be able to monitor all 4 ABS sensors and determine which wheel is causing the problem. Once there, they can remove the tire and ABS sensor (I think it's just 1 bolt) and manually trigger the sensor and see if it's reading properly over OBDII. If it works, it's probably an issue with the bearing and they can remove the knuckle to diagnose what's wrong with the bearing/tone ring. If it doesn't work it's a sensor/module type problem.

See my post (#23) here.

If you're going to diagnose it yourself, I'd recommend using FORScan over the Torque app I was using previously.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was an outside mechanic that replaced it, so it is possible it may be the wrong bearing. The way you explain it, doesn’t seem like too difficult of a job especially if you have the proper equipment to test the electronics, which they have. So I have no idea why they couldn’t find anything and charged me a ton and got nowhere.
The guy that helped me then seemed like he was annoyed to help me and was extremely unprofessional in the way he spoke, I assume because I’m young. So I wasn’t too surprised nothing got done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts