Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I replaced my rear shoes and drums today. Everything went fine (I thought) but when I went to drive home my ABS, traction control, and e-brake lights were on. E-brake only comes on while car running, goes out after a couple seconds when key set to on just before cranking.

I put it back up on the jack and double checked the abs harnesses were indeed plugged back in. Im sure the E brake is good.

What the heck is going on. Only thing I can think of is I sprayed brake cleaner on the backing plate to clean it off, didn't consider sensors as this is the first car I've had with ABS or Traction control.

No codes found by my sct scanner. Battery disconnect didn't fix it either. Fluid level just barely under the full mark....

Did I F something up with the brake cleaner?

Help please!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So with more researching I discover there is an ABS sensor ring.
I guess my aftermarket drums didn't include that. Good thing I didn't toss out the old oem ones yet.
I guess I will likely figure it out when I get back to work and see it but until then it's gonna drive me nuts..

Should I be able to reuse this ring with my aftermarket drum/ bearing combo or will I need to buy new rings?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's just this cap thing on top right? Is there a trick to getting it off without damage? Do I need a puller?
Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
No puller, pry it off carefully , taking care not to warp it, use a piece of wood when pressing it on and tap lightly with a mallet on the wood, making sure its fully seated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thx. Maybe a little penetrating lube will make it go smoother...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn't get them off without a bit of warping but all is well now. Thanks for the help guys!
Next car I get is gonna have 4 wheel discs for sure. Drum brakes are a PITA!

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Drums suck. At least you were able to get that ring off. Iirc there like $80 from ford.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts