Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed that when I drive between (about) 41 and 45 mph, I feel a vibration in my gas pedal. If I then touch the brake pedal, I notice a vibration there. If I slow from 41 to about 30 mph and tap the brake, the vibration in both pedals immediately and completely disappears. Also, if I drive faster than 45 or so, the vibration seems to go away in both pedals. A mechanic has looked at the car twice and found no fault with the brake pads or rotors. He thinks that the vibration occurs because the ABS brake system is engaging without proper cause. He also seems to be at a loss as to how to fix the problem. Can anyone suggest a possible cause and a possible solution? I would appreciate your comments. The car is a 2000 S.E. sedan with 91,000 miles. Thank you.
--Jerry

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
maybe some crap got into the ABS module and is causing it to go screwy on you? would happen if it's an old car and they didn't bleed it when they replaced the brake pads.....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I don't believe the diagnosis. Disconnect the ABS module and drive around for a while....you'll just have normal braking then. The ABS might set a code that you'll have to clear. But if the problem is still present, you have another issue.

I'm betting on warped rotors, despite what the guy said. It doesn't take much of a warp to feel in the pedal.....and it might happen at only certain speeds.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't believe it is the ABS, as you would have more severe symptoms.

I would try another mechanic. ABS systems typically cannot actuate a brake them selves, that requires a stability control system, such as Advance-trac, which is not on any 2000 Focus models.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i would say warped rotor or snow and ice packed in rim causing the wheel to be out of balance.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
how many miles on ur tires?? the belts could be going inside them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am gonna have to go with warped rotor or a tire wit a shifted/broken belt. Inspect the tires very carefully for any bulges or tread seperation. If that is not it than you either have a warped rotor or severely out of round drum.
BTW, if the ABS is active the ABS light will usually come on at the same time on most vehicles. Once traction is restored the light will go off.
Ken

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^ABS light should only come on at startup to show it's functioning.
If it lights up when you're driving down the road, that indicates a fault in the system.
It does not light up when it activates.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> If it lights up when you're driving down the road, that indicates a fault in the system.

Correct. I think some people may perhaps be confusing it with the traction control light, which does light up when it is activated.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
guys, he seems to be getting it when driving altogether, not just braking. that would not be a warped rotor. said he gets it in the gas pedal. that would lead me to believe it is a wheel/tire or drivetrain issue. a slipped belt you feel at slow speeds, like 5 to 15, and they are very obvious. could be a wheel balance issue, but that usually occurs around 60 and up. doesn't mean that isn't the case here tho. id look into bearings/driveshaft issues. i would have said maybe suspension, but you describe it as cycling with speed, so that points to the other 2 possibilities i just mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts