Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! This is my very first post here since I bought a Focus very recently. It is a 2000 1.6 estate that looks very nice that I bought very cheap since it needs some TLC. My first impressions being a Focus owner are that it is such a nice car. I am used to driving a bigger car so the Focus is so convenient when parking and overall I am very pleased with my purchase. Since I bought it I have replaced the timing belt since nobody knew when or if it had been replaced earlier, I replaced the power window mechanism on the driver's door and did some other minor adjustments. Now to what feels like a big issue to me: The ABS brakes. When I bought the car the yellow lights were on. I scanned the system and the error code told me something was wrong with the left front wheel. I erased the error code and started the car. The very second I raised the clutch pedal the light came on again. I replaced the ABS sensor. Things changed. Now I could move the car and accelerate to about 15 mph before the light came on. I replaced the wheel bearing. Nothing changed. I checked the new ABS sensor using a PC while driving the car. No speed. I hot-wired the right ABS sensor to the left side and checked the real time data and then I got a signal so I replaced the new sensor with an even newer sensor. Now the warning lights do not come on and no error codes are registered. BUT as soon as I am driving faster than 10-15 mph the ABS kicks in as soon as I touch the brake pedal. It is quite annoying to feel the pedal vibrate every time I want to slow down. Has anyone go any ideas of what my next step should be? A third sensor or a second bearing or something completely different. Any help or ideas would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I solved it. Just in case someone else will experience this later on I'll write down what I did. I drove the car while being connected to the PC. All wheels showed the same speed but there were extremely short losses of signal from the left front wheel. I disconnected the ABS sensor and had a look down the hole where the sensor sits. I think I saw some tiny fragments that might be rests of the old sensor that I had to break to remove. Otherwise there might have been shavings from the old wheel bearing. I cleaned the hole and vacuumed it and put the sensor back and all of a sudden my Focus was working perfectly.

·
Registered
16,185 Posts
Good boy.

The sensors are very picky and need to be very close to the signal maker and no metallic trash in there to fudge the reading up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts