Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to undertake the task of swapping out my 02 focus SVT motor with a blown head gasket with a nice running one but I need some advice! Can anyone tell me the best way to go about this? What can I do to prep? Any tutorials or testimonies from people?

What about compatibility? Im going to be putting in a motor from an 03 SVT. Will there be any issues electronically or otherwise?

Im going to be relying heavily on these forums to help me through it so ANY advice is helpful. I have access to a lift and air tools

·
Registered
408 Posts
From SVT to SVT there shouldn't be an issue but it seems like there would be if you just had a normal zetec.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup its SVT to SVT. Hopefully its just plug and play!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Now I am just young and not 100% sure but I don't think Ford really changed anything in the 3 years of the SVT but I would say Tom would know for sure if you want to send him a PM, he is all over the forums so he'd be pretty easy to find.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pulling the engine by itself has been done, probably the hardest way to do it.

Engine & trans as a unit is easier, out the bottom is a common preference (went in that way).

Unhooking/removing anything connected or in the way before unhooking the mounts is the way to go, start by draining fluids.

If the A/C was working, you can probably leave the hoses hooked up & swing it out of the way when swapping.

(Basics Only)

Look at some of the posted pictures here & in the showroom section to see the fun.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup im doing engine and transmission together. Im surprised I cant find a "how to" or any threads that detail the process!

·
Registered
408 Posts
That means you should make one...[paranoid][paranoid][race]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be taking a ton of pictures and im actually planning on doing a write up when all is said and done. Ive never dropped an engine from anything FWD or from any car newer than 1980 so I was really hoping to have some help... seriously though Im getting started saturday and my plan is to just unbolt stuff take pictures and hope for the best. Not really ideal

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone think of any reason my current ECU would be incompatable or not work with the different engine? Im feeling OK about mechanical aspects but im paranoid of electrical issues

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know where I can find information about how to drop the subframe / best way to do it?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Can anyone think of any reason my current ECU would be incompatable or not work with the different engine? Im feeling OK about mechanical aspects but im paranoid of electrical issues
Just swap any sensor that uses a different hookup from the old engine if the new one is from a different year & you find any odd changes.

Doubt you'll find any, as the SVT stayed pretty much the same during production.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts