Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse me if this is a common question, but...

Just test drove a 2004 ZX3 with 56K on the clock. Car seemed to perform ok, but just a little concerned that when we lifted the hood after the (short) test drive the idling engine was making a ticking noise which appeared to be coming from the camshaft area.

Never owned a Focus or Zetec-engined car before and was wondering whether this is in any way normal, or whether I should avoid buying this car.

Any wisdom that anyone could share would be very much appreciated by this complete newbie!! [:D]

·
Registered
753 Posts
How loud was the ticking?Loud as tapping a dime on a valve cover?Zetecs make some valve lash noise if they are on the edge of having too much lash as they do not have hydraulic valve adjusters.At that mileage,there really should be no noticable cam/bucket noise.(ass-uming someone has taken reasonable care of it)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply! I just called the lady to make an offer only to have her tell me there's actually a lien on it for a loan which she planned to pay off with my money. I'd have to hand over the cash and wait a week or twoi to get my title - all the time the car sitting on her property. No thanks! I wish she'd been up-front earlier on. Hopefully I haven't wasted your time, as I intend to carry on looking at Foci...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
look on here in the for sale section have sceen a few good deals that I wish I had the money for

1 - 5 of 5 Posts