Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions about an offroad pipe. What does the offroad pipe eliminate you from buying (Cat, Flex)? Will you see better gains instead of using a cat and/or a flex?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I also hear that the offroad pipes aren't made with as good of quality as a flexpipe, cat, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Okay, here's your whole exhaust setup

Exhaust manifold(header), to your cat (L piece), to your flex, to your catback. If you install an offroad pipe, it is simply the same pipe as the cat, except without the cat converter(which is the most bogging part of your exhaust system). The flex is a piece that allows for, flex in the exhaust system. You'd likely crack something with the vibration of the engine without the flex pipe. You will definetly see better gains from an offroad pipe vs a high flow cat, because instead of just improving the design and efficiency of a cat converter, it just eliminates the whole thing in all. You won't notice an improvement from a new flex, all that does is allow for a larger diameter piping. It's 2am now, i'll shutup and go to sleep before i babble on more.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just installed the FC offroad pipe a couple of weeks ago. I love it. It is very high quality stainless steel. Came with the O2 cheat and everything. It looks good, sounds good, and feels good. If you look at your car, attached to the headers is the cat, its a huge ugly boxy thing. With the downpipe, you don't have that box so there is no place for the air to be slowed down, which increases performance. But, i see that you live in CA. your car won't pass emissions testing out there without the cat.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Um yeah maybe its me but the orp is kinda not the best thing unless you already baought shorty headers. It would be better just to buy a race header which has a better design than a shorty header and it will save you the money than having to buy both a race header and a orp.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Oh yeah, since i see your name is silverfoci, i will assume you have a svt focus, so i am gonna tell you that the orp is a good option for the svt because it already has a header from the factory.

·
Registered
341 Posts
pitchblackab said:
Um yeah maybe its me but the orp is kinda not the best thing unless you already baought shorty headers. It would be better just to buy a race header which has a better design than a shorty header and it will save you the money than having to buy both a race header and a orp.
not entirely true....i still use my stock header (even at 140whp) b/c the orp goes in for track wkends only....then the stock cat goes back in (car is detuned). stock header is the only 1 that plays nice w/stock cat. now if he doesnt wanna swap it (which is its intended purpose) back and forth, then yes, look elsewhere.

idk if he has an svt or not, it he does, then the header is a non-issue. if he has a regular focus, then he has these decisions to make.

-Ult

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pitchblackab said:
Oh yeah, since i see your name is silverfoci, i will assume you have a svt focus, so i am gonna tell you that the orp is a good option for the svt because it already has a header from the factory.
No, my name is silverfoci because I have a silver focus.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Dude I had to be burnt that day I even typed your name out and still didn't catch it right.... in my head i still was saying svt foci. My bad stay away from alcohol when typing on the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts