Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all can see I drive a 2001 Ford Focus SE. You know its a 4dr sedan and has a DOHC. I was basicly wondering what combination of headers and exhaust you would recommend. But just to put it out there I am considering adding a turbo kit as well as cams and what have you.... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I was considering the following:

- MimoUSA Headers; Chrome R spec (cat delete)

- Magnaflow Cat- back Exhaust System

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks qbert442.... you've been alot of help. Some questions were answered so yeah thanks. But I don't think Borla makes a cat-back system for the SE. Or do they???

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Well, they're basically the same. The cat back for the ZX3 and ZX5 would fit the ZX4 (sedan), the only different one would be the wagon (which sucks, and i happen to have!)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to doubt you but are you sure??? I have the 2001 SE. From what I know its not the same thing as zx4.... though it might be. Let me look into it:

Ok I thought so..... the Focus ZX4 didn't come out till 2005. And the only difference is it is longer by .3 of an inch so yeah not too much. Ok heres one more question. The 2001 ZTS (130hp) and the 2001 SE (110hp) {with a SOHC} are only different in one thing..... the ZTS comes with a DOHC, but the SE has it as optional. I have the SE DOHC. So is my SE the same as a ZTS; and will I be able to use parts made for the ZTS in my SE????

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
yes it is. if your engine valve cover says 16v dohc zetec, then you have the 130hp engine that was in the zts. there is a borla exhaust that is made for the sedan. do a few searches to learn a little bit about your car before you plan on doing anything with it. there's a lot of things you need to look into also before you have your mind set on forced induction. is your car an automatic (atx) or the 5 speed manual (mtx)?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imprtslyr0223 said:
yes it is. if your engine valve cover says 16v dohc zetec, then you have the 130hp engine that was in the zts. there is a borla exhaust that is made for the sedan. do a few searches to learn a little bit about your car before you plan on doing anything with it. there's a lot of things you need to look into also before you have your mind set on forced induction. is your car an automatic (atx) or the 5 speed manual (mtx)?

SWEET!!! I always thought my engine was special.....lol. Um yeah its a 5 speed (mtx)..

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
well that's good that you have the mtx. unless you're rich, and you profile says your a college student, like me haha, it sounds like it might take you a little while to get to the turbo. with an f/i applications, a 3inch exhaust is usually a good thing to have, but it's also one of the better mods to get done with first. but how much hp do you plan on achieving in the end? that is a very important thing to ask yourself first, is what is your plans for the car ultimately?

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
SuperFlea said:
Well, they're basically the same. The cat back for the ZX3 and ZX5 would fit the ZX4 (sedan), the only different one would be the wagon (which sucks, and i happen to have!)
I know that the Flex Pipe for the ZX3/ZX5 will fit the Sedans and Wagons (Zetec), but I thought that the difference with the exhaust kits was the length of the piping after the flex pipe. I thought that in order to make a ZX3/ZX5 exhaust kit work for the sedan, one would need to add ~4" - ~6" to the piping in order for it to come out the back correctly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

drift_master87 said:
As you all can see I drive a 2001 Ford Focus SE. You know its a 4dr sedan and has a DOHC. I was basicly wondering what combination of headers and exhaust you would recommend. But just to put it out there I am considering adding a turbo kit as well as cams and what have you.... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I was considering the following:

- MimoUSA Headers; Chrome R spec (cat delete)

- Magnaflow Cat- back Exhaust System
If I were to do it all again, I would have gone with the SVT Header Kit and SVT R/T High-Flow Cat from McNew's Automotive instead of the Focus Central 4-2-1 Longtube Header. This will allow you to remain emissions legal and will yield very nice gains. I personally bought my 2.5" SS Flex Pipe and 2.5" SS Flex-Back Exhaust from TruBendz but I would highly recommend going with a Borla or Magnaflow exhaust.

My advice to you would be to do some more research and do what you feel is right. Most importantly, if you're going to do something you should make sure and do it right the first time. The search button is your friend. [welcome] to the Forums by the way.

Also, you have a Private Message [thumb]

Cheers!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well to be honest you hit the nail on the head..... I'm a college student who loves to go fast. Its just that I've been reading that a 2.25 exhaust such as the one on the Magnaflow is only good if your only thinking bolt ons. But yeah I am thinking about cams, gears, manifold; for the near future....lol. Basicly I'm thinking RALLY RACING here.... or drifting....lol. So I was looking into Borla who has the 2.5 I think.

By the way what is the f/i applications??? ANd what 3in exhaust do you recommend???

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
LOL have fun drifting a FWD car!! Let me know how that works out [cheers]

I'd agree with Phoenix on the full exhaust setup. I've been searching and reading furiously for the last two weeks, and decided on svt header -> random tech SVT cat -> SS flex -> Borla catback ("flexback"). Just have to check the fitment on a wagon...

As far as f/i (forced induction) goes, I hear Jackson Racing makes a great supercharger. Check out their website. Again, the search button rocks the house!

As a college kid, where's the dough coming from when you say "near future"??? Mind letting me in on some of that? [scratch]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Um yeah I'll do alot more research then...... but yeah if anything I wanna do it right so yeah wish me luck. And just for my reference where do I find these SVT Headers and Exhaust. Will I be able to take out the catalytic converter since I'm putting in a cat back and still keep it legal???

And uh yeah as a college kid I really don't get too much dough coming in, but as a college kid in the Navy I get paid to go to school and can pick up an easy part-time job.....lol. After I get my BA or AA I'll just re-enlist as on Officer in the Navy and really pull in that money. I got it all figured out.......lol.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Look on the thread "Exhaust - Need Advice!" you posted on yesterday. the two posts under yours answer your questions.

You'll have to check your local laws for emissions testing procedures so you can make sure to stay legal. Putting in a cat-back just changes the exhaust after the cat. it has no catalyst-converting ablities, so you probably need to leave the cat in or get a hi-flo (depending on your location).

mcnews = http://www.mcnewsautomotive.com/

there you can get the svt header/random tech cat kit. It might not pass visual, though, since it moves the cat from its stock location on the zx4/SE sedan.

Lastly, keep searching! ive seen all of this material on here, just too lazy to link it for you [sleep]

·
Registered
958 Posts
u know that if u go turbo that it replaces ur header w a turbo manifold...so how long is "in the near future"...if its going to be a while then get the full exhaust now and when u do go FI then sell off the exhaust

lots of ppl are going powerworks since it is very complete...includes injectors, tb, tune, etc...lots of stuff u would normally have to buy ur self...plus w a supercharger it lets u keep ur header

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm good point..... I'll just do that then. But yeah its too bad no one has heard or knows anything about the MimoUSA Headers for the Focus. I'm gonna step up and get them myself then I'll tell you all about them.....lol. Will anyone else like to join me????

www.autoaccessorystore.com

- You find them under performance headers..... check them out!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts