Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this will make me sound like a complete idiot, which I am but i'm slowly learning :)l. I had my ZTS for two years bought it brand new and I just found out 3 days ago that I had the 2.3L duratec engine and not the 2.0 zetec. I was both dissapointed and happy about it. I had more HP so that is always good but I did all my research on the zetec engine :-(. I was like 2 days away from buying the supercharger kit for my engine when my dad made me go check the engine out. He told me he bought the sports packages for my car, it came w/ spoiler, bigger engine, bigger wheels, better sound system, etc. I dissagreed of course, and so I went check under the hood and sure engouh I had the 2.3L engine. Well, that is my story and I guess i can ask my questioons now :).

1. How much does the 2.3L produce? (I heard 145)
2. Is it 16 valves like the zetec?
3. Why is the engine so messy? Is there a actual purpose for all those wires and hoses? (Me and my friends just figured that it was for all the sensors).The zetec engine is nice and neat. I showed my friends my engine and they laughed cuz they said they seen modded cars with less wires and tubes running across their engine. Fine, example of this: When I had my hood poped open today a guy walked behind me and my friends and said, "Nice engine, do you have a turbo or nos in that" I just smiled at him, laughin inside my head when it was completly stock.
4.If I add a CAI and Exhaust System to my car would be able to handle the little horsepower gain it receives? (my car is a atx)
5. Is there anyplace I can download a diagram of our engine with it lables.

Well, thats it for now I know im gonna think of a couple once i walk away! Thanx for any replies, you guys are usually great at helping me out :) Thanx again love this community!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well the duratec engine is better than the zetec engine in my opinion. Its stock HP is 144bhp and 151tq (i think thats the right tq) It does have 16 valves. Its messy because of technology....lol...

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
The aftermarket is still in it's infancy for the Duratec. Recently some non-intercooled turbo kits have been introduced to the market by FocusSport, and Focus-Power is working on one or has built one (I haven't checked in a while).

Yes, your ATX will handle all the mods- others, including one of our moderators- have ATX tranmissions with the 23D motor. In fact, the ATX is the best transmission for drag racing in most opinions. The stock tranny won't handle great amounts of hp, but a company called Lentech makes a beefed ATX that is THE bracket racing transmission. An SCT XCalibrator 1 or 2 will give you the ability to have the motor tuned, save tunes, and change shift rpm points.

I'm sure there's someone else out there who can tell you exactly how much more power the new ATX will handle. There are cams available, but I'd wait on that until you're sure of how the ATX will behave.

Happy modding!!! [race]

PS: messy wiring on the top of the motor= Coil on plug ignition (much better than old ignition), injector wiring harness, cam position sensor, block temp sensor. It works, and nobody is going to see it when you pass them.

·
Registered
930 Posts
D23=easy power gains. Intake, header, exhaust, and xcal2 should get you pretty good power. There are ZX3 people here(or on focaljet) running high 14s, some without tunes.

There is no production supercharger kit (everyone keeps saying it is a space issue), but realy, the turbo setups make some good power. The 11psi intercooled version of the focus sport one is making ~220whp/230wtq, and that is on an otherwise stock d20 (the 2.0L duratec). I'll be honest, I envy those of you with a 2.3L. I got screwed as only the sedan had the option of one in 2005 (ST) and I picked a ZX3 (I wanted the 2 door hatch...it is quick as it is).

·
Registered
301 Posts
yeah, many people, (myself included) have the 2.0 zx3 because we like the hatch, and seeing how i bough mine in 05 thats all the dealers had. but im looking to buy a second car 04 zx3 w/2.3L because i want the 2.3L. so give your dad a big slap on the back and an adaboy for saving you from the depressing second string engine also known as the D20E.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
except for 2003-2004 models found in "green states" or some parts of Canada also.

you are a very lucky guy to have a 2.3
have fun with it.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
So glad I got my 2.3l Duratec in a hatch, well, holy crap, almost 3 years ago. Wow...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Same here. When I was researching the cars, I thought to myself, "Should I opt for the upgraded engine for $115?" Didn't take too long for the decision to be made. Also, it came standard on the Premium version, which I wanted for the power windows and keyless entry.

Many people search for the '03-'04 ZX3/5's with the 2.3L, so consider yourself lucky. Just install an intake & exhaust for now and start saving up for the forced induction kits that will be offered in the future.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
SilverDuratecZX3 said:

Many people search for the '03-'04 ZX3/5's with the 2.3L, so consider yourself lucky.
I drove to NY almost 3 years ago to get mine. [:D]

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I am fortunate enough to live in Cali...one of the green states. When I test drove the 2.3 the idiot at the dealership got mad at me for revving above 3500...but I knew that I had somethin special even before I bought it..so I bought it! I waited a little while to break it in even though Ford claims it comes broken in. Anyways I took a trip to Mexico which required me to take a very smooth dirt road and on the way back a clutch sensor failed about 100 feet from the border and I ended up pushing my car across...a whole nother story but while my 2.3 was being fixed i was forced to drive a 2.0 automatic sedan and after a day I could not wait to get my car back. Appreciate the torque and wait for FS to come out with their Turbo cause this car will haul some serious WRX burning ass when boosted!!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I got mine slightly used a little more than a year ago. Dealer had two Foci on the lot, one an '03 with a Zetec and the '04 with the 2.3L. The '03 had more miles and obviously had a harder life too, but the cars were listed with the same price. I hadn't done a lot of engine research to that point (I needed wheels!), but when I drove them there was a big differnce, the '03 had a lot more engine noise (not the good kind either [8D] ) and the '04 had way more oomph. So I got really lucky![:D]

·
Registered
341 Posts
Found my 04 2.3 zx3 premium package at a KIA dealership with 19,300 miles for a great deal at $9,300.00 it was a trade in for a 2006 Rio. Whatever somebodies loss my gain. All I know is I LOVE MY Focus

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ya, my 2.3 pulls like a bitch in first gear when I am by myself with low gas it pulls fast! But every pound in my car I can tell a huge difference in the pull! But ya I do consider myself lucky/unlucky at same time. I have a auto and I hate it soooo much! People talk down on them all the time and some upgrades are only made for mtx's grrrrr!!!!

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
I bought myself one of the last '04s left in May '04, I lived in NY so it automatically came with the 2.3 PZEV....I wasn't even looking at Focus's but after a test drive I was sold. I took it on this curvy curvy back road and just wailed on it, that bought it for me. I had to search all around the state to find one with all the options I wanted, including a stick, and it was the greatest decision I've made. The dealer tried to convince me to get an atx because "it would have better resale value..." yeah right...The motor is unreal, besides going through a clutch in the first 6,000 miles due to a master cyl defect...its the only NA 4cyl ive really ever driven that has torque, and and this car really goes. The only real downside of my first 2 years owning this car was being boned by the aftermarket but they are slowly catching up. I love surprising people who assume my car has a Zetec and blowing them away...biggest problem with this car is the A/C, when I turn it on it feels like it robs 50hp and all my torque, the car bogs down in every gear and needs to be launched at like 2000rpm...does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Haha, the first time I opened the hood of my focus I was like, "Good god what a mess..." Some simple engine covers here and there would have been nice.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, the first time I opened the hood of my focus I was like, "Good god what a mess..." Some simple engine covers here and there would have been nice.

I totally agree! I poped my hood and some guys thought i had a turbo installed. And i agree with warneej the AC robs your car of alot of HP! I dont know why! Its suppose to take like 10hp r sumtin but i have no pull once that ac comes on! Another thing that kills the pull is of course the weight! When I have more then one person in the car I can feel the drag of any extra weight. But boy, once my gas needle hits almost empty i think im driving a sports car :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts