Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a quick question about the Clutch Position Sensor Mod I've been hearing about. Apparently if you disconnect the sensor from the clutch pedal bracket it will (if I understand it correctly) prevent the ECU from pulling the spark timing while you shift. I did try this, and I did indeed feel the car respond better while shifting, and I could be wrong but I also felt as if the low end torque was a tad better. The question is this: what would be the harm in leaving this sensor disconnected? I mean, my worry is that if Ford designed it to pull timing while shifting it must serve a purpose, but then again, being a Ford it might not. I just don't want to drive around with it disconnected if I'm gonna start knocking or pinging or fry a coil or something. Would there be any drawbacks to this, or am I being overly paranoid?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I drove around like that for a week, But I decided that I like my shift light and cruise control. I would save up for a tune instead...

I don't think it will negatively affect the engine. It's purpose is more than likely directed toward fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you look closely, there are 4 wires on that harness. It's a pretty neat switch actually, using a ohmmeter, I determined that the switch has TWO circuits going thru it.

One circuit is closed until the clutch pedal is depressed, and the other circuit is open until the clutch pedal is depressed. So, I played around with that for a bit, Lo and behold, you CAN eliminate the timing retard, and still keep the cruise!!

Just disconnect the two wires that are 'open' with the clutch pedal up. Tape those up, leaving them disconnected.

For the other two, leave in the switch and leave the switch in the bracket,and Voila! You have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...I don't have cruise, and not having the upshift light come on is a bonus. As long as is there is no long term damage to the engine or ignition, I'm satisfied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts