Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some AZFS22C plugs from a guy who gave them to me when I bought his AEM CAI. I figure I'd throw em in while changing my oil. I pull my plugs -

This doen't look normal. There's build up on the ground electrodes and as for the center electrode, well you see. I can't find any pics showing this type of wear to see if it is normal or why it looks like this.

Also as you see the plug on the right is darker than the rest. Before I even pulled it, I could see a ring of oil around the seat. Once I pulled it, it was COVERED in oil.

Now after I replaced my plugs, the #4 boot wouldn't snap back on to the plug. I bought a new set of wires to replace it. So I'm hoping that may be part of the problem. I've had the new plugs in for a week, tomorrow I'll be checking my #4 plug. Hope it's not oily.

BTW, my SVTF only had 35,360 miles when I pulled these.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If your plug boot wouldn't go back on right, I'd say your right to assume that plug wasn't firing well most of the time. As for the other plugs that you've got pictured, it looks like the mixture is running pretty rich, but it's hard to see without good shots of the top of the plugs. Probably not devastating to your car, but fixing it would help your engine. Also make sure the plugs are the right distance in, because holy cow is that 4 plug just soaked to the bone.

[Edit] It also just occurred to me that it could be as simple as the normal wear and tear on those plugs made the gap too big on them to fire correctly and replacing them would fix that right away. Make sure #4 isn't soaked in gas after your first trip around the block, but I'd say give them another look after a good bit of driving. [/Edit]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

car ran fine. it seemed to run better after replacing them. but i did run it without #4 firing 2 miles to get the new wires. anything would seem to run better after that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i did the same thing yesterday. i have a 03 zts with 55.000km on it (about 34.000mi.) i installed CAI few weeks ago. couple of days ago i bought new plugs; i'm just waiting for the wires to come in the mail.

anyways. yesterday i took the wires off just to check the old plugs. they looked just like yours up there. all rusty and dirty (no oil though) they were also berried under like 1/4 in. of something that looked like white sand. i was too freaked out to take the plugs out, so i spent 1hr just cleaning the damn sand out. looked like the walls were all corroded or something. haven't taken them out completely (just yet) but the top portion looked just like yours.

as far as problems, i did notice (even months earlier) when ideling the radio and lights would flicker sometimes, and i also had a few problems starting the car (cold start, it felt like it would misfire couple of times before starting)

hope the new wires/plugs will fix that prob

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i pulled the #4 plug and all looks good. there was some oil around the top of the threads, none near the electrodes. but i think it's from the remaining oil in the threads off the old plug.

but it looks like i'm leaking oil from the valve cover gaskets. bah, another trip to the dealer for warranty work...

as for the plug wires, i'm going to get some Taylor Thundervolts. About the same price as FRPP and Motorcraft and if you can find it there's a thread on here talking about the benefits of Taylors vs. the other 2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts