Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed just today that my engine seems to be ticking abnormally loud. It always has some ticking noise, but today, it seemed much worse. Also, when revved between 3500, and 5500, it doesn't have quite the same sound as usual. It's not as deep, more whiney. I plan on taking it in to Ford first thing Monday morning, but does anyone have any suggestions or clues as to what could be wrong?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
how cold was it when u started the car?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about it. Mine has been ticking for some time now, but like kickn is trying to say the Focus has a habbit of ticking when you first fire it up for a few minutes then it mellows out. Especilly when it's cold outside.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I should have explained better. This was after the car was up to normal operating temp. I have noticed the ticking in the past, but it has usually gotten quieter after the car warms up. I had been driving it for about 45 min - 1hr, and it was clicking even louder than usual. Also, I had noticed when driving, that the engine sounded higher pitched between 3500 and 5500.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I think we all hae the same problem....Zetec engines are loud when in idle........I serached a lot on FF and [FJ] and it appears to happen to everyone..............Some might tell you that the injectors are knowed to be loud too..........

Hope it helps..........

Peace.........

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
my old cavy used 2 do that, but it was the valvetrain, so...i dunno...i think mine does it a little bit when cold...guess i just dont knotice it anymore

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost
266 Posts
Mine's kinda noisey first thing in the morning but when warmed up you can hardly hear it running. How many miles on the oil?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About 2000 miles on this oil.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See, that's the thing. I have noticed it in the past, but not this loud, and not after the engine was warmed up. I didn't drive today at all, but I am going to pay close attention on the way to work tomorrow. If it seems to be out of the ordinary, I'm going to take it in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had this exact problem about 2 weeks ago. Ticking that increased it's frequency with higher revs. Took it to the dealer and they changed the v-belt and the tensioner and that fixed it. Everything was under warranty.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey:
From my experience, I agree with everybodys post here.Our cars are "tickers"But if after the car is warmed you say the ticking gets worse, may wanna take it to dealer if warranty still applies.[thumb]

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
microtonal said:
Have you done any mods lately that may have caused this to happen ?
My only mod is an AEM short ram. I've had that for quite a while now.

I have never heard the term v-belt before, what is it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
v-belt is what Ford calls the timing belt. It goes down to the crankshaft between two pulleys (one being the tensioner) so I guess it kind of looks like a V. .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts