Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When he had that cloud hanging over his head. yesterday I was set to do the Zetec thermostat housing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272146) . Got everything ready, had all my tools, lights, jacks, was ready to fly thru this little job. Got the old housing out, put the new one in, with new hose clamps to replace those 'pincher' clamps that came on the car. Here's where I went wrong--I thought at long last I would put a housing together and it wouldn't leak, so I put in the antifreeze instead of a water test. Naturally, disaster, The thing was squirting like a big dog. But where? Couldn't see a leak. Was dripping off the back of the trans. onto the garage floor. So I made the guess that it was the back hose. Drained the coolant, tore everything off and did it again. This time I put two hose clamps on that little back tube. But put water in this time, in case it was gonna leak again.
You can guess the result--no leaks!! Is there a lesson here? Maybe its putting a hose clamp on right is harder than you think. But thanks for all the great How-tos and hints. I doubt I would have tried this without this great site.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's ALL "harder than you think", 'cause it takes LOTS of "experience" B4 you can guess exactly WHICH "less than perfect" items will work, & which NEED replacement to get by...

And it's STILL a "crap shoot", even for the "experienced" mechanic....

That's why when someone wants a quote up front, you need to spec. ALL NEW EVERYTHING, and ADD a bit for the unforseen...

Given some "leeway", you can "get by" with less, as you did - NOT all new hoses, clamps, housing etc.

Clean up & re-use what you can, BUT you don't know for sure what works 'till you test it....

Glad the Forum got you into trying it for yourself, we MAY have created a new mechanic... (grin)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts