Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is different.....and easy if you can find the right pieces. It's made out of a "Type S" ash tray from Advanced Auto Parts. Got on clearance a few months ago......used it as a coin holder.

Anyway with a minor bit of grinding with a Dremel, a volt meter from Harbor Freight ($8) fits right in. I mounted it with a slight tilt toward the rear, to make it more visible. Any gauge would fit in there, and there's plenty of room underneath for the wiring. (not wired up yet). I may put a different gauge in there......

Happy modding.....

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
thats pretty trick dude...nice work

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
looks good man. nice idea

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
first time i've ever seen anythign like that!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks....I wired it up and drove around a little last night. That location provides excellent visibility, considering where it sits. Here's a night shot....seat is all the way back in my normal seating position.

·
Registered
454 Posts
hey last i heard the focus RS has no cup holders lol. thats cool has any one tried to lift it up yet thinking its a cup?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
It is original. You should find some way to have it screw in, instead of a wire for connection. I'll try to find a diagram of what I mean.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
thats tight.... noone uses cupholders in my car anyway so thats sweet!
way to be origional

·
Registered
312 Posts
thats cool as hell, nice job man.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been considering purchasing an Aero Force gauge. But before I do, I wanted to figure out how to mount the thing. This mod seems to be the best way for me....don't have to worry much about somebody seeing it, and breaking in the car.

The other "stealth" options I came up with, are too complicated. In fact, I've seen no other stealth setup at all for this Focus.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
if that interceptor gauge is bright enough, you can mount it inside the driver side a/c vent... if its bright enough you should be able to see the readings still and when the car is off, and it turns the gauge off, no one will see it.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's an idea I never considered.....I've seen warning lights in the vents, which would be ok. But you'd have to disable the vent completely to use the opening for a gauge. It might make for a good stealth install. But in the summer where I live, I'm not willing to sacrifice any of the AC airflow.

The other stealth installation I considered.....buy a single DIN audio system, and use the new opening for a gauge location. I could rig up a panel of some sort to hide the gauges. That's workable.....but an expensive option. I'll wait for my audio unit to fail before I consider that.

Something like this.....

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's a great idea, out of sight, but there when you need it, awesome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts