Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife mentioned twice a funny noise as car shuts down, I didn't hear it for several days, then driving one day heard a funny noise as car was idling at a light, the normal constant idle whir these make magnified like 3X. Pull in parking lot and sounds like in fans, I unplug one and it stops. So drive home that night but 2 minutes into a 15 minute trip then all kinds of noise showing up, all highway so I'm thinking unplug that one fan and use highway speed to keep it cool. I unplug the fan and the noise has now switched to the OTHER FAN??!! Nope BOTH are now doing it. So, the drive home with no fans, uneventful, coast correctly and needle never moved off the middle at all. Fans sound like the kid's bike with playing cards pinned to the spokes.

Yank fan assembly and both are dead, one is missing all blades and the other blades all cracked with one about to go away. All pieces fell out leaving the one outside ring in place. When one fan goes, enough room in shroud for either the ring or blade pieces to cross over and takes the other one out. Pieces also stack up/bounce off of radiator too so don't forget to check that, mine looks kinda bad now. No leaking yet but came close in 2-3 places. Dents everywhere.

Moral of story? If you hear that snapping noise at car shutdown when fans coast down look quick, may save a radiator purchase. I almost messed up there.

FYI, the weird looking clips that hold fan blades to motor, they remove with a simple small slot screwdriver and hammer. Punch sideways on one of the clip legs the slot in clip creates so that the fan motor shaft comes down the slot and they come right off. No special tool needed at all.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
How many miles on those fans? Damage was from the blades breaking apart not something external that got caught up in the fans? Definitely will be watching/listening for this.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw or heard nothing to show outside forces involved. 150K. As well, an ebay replacement blade had cracks in it when I received it yesterday. Made of FRP, it has a tendency to crack with heat and time like the stat housings and valve covers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts