Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of you familiar with the HRW intake, I put my own spin on it.

I cut the plastic piece that covers the top of the grille so that air coming through the grill can be sucked up into the stock snorkle, just like the HRW intake.

However I wasn't satisfied with the air coming in through the grille hitting the radiatore then going straight up into the snorkle, so I found an old piece from a chimeny flu that was made of thin sheet metal, cut it up and banged it flat. Then I gave it a smooth bend and cut it to fitone side under the grille one under the snorkle so that the air that comes in through the grille has a more serodynamic approach to the snorkle. I secured one corner of it under the washer for the grill on the driver's side.

No immediate signs or improvement but I just feel like it works better because the air doesnt have to bouce all around before it gets sucked in.

This was a very easy mod and was free. I suggest you all give it a try. I'll get pics up later.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
need pics

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's bare metal. It's just a prototype for now, I'm going to cut it to fit much better and painting is a good idea, although you can't even see it at all.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i dont know if this helped u any at all???

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
according to HRW cutting off that piece of plastic helped out alot, I simply added that sheet metal to help "Swoop" the air into it. I didn't feel anything but I have a good reason to believe it helped.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I tried a somewhat-similar diy mod one time with mine that I called "******* ram air". First I removed the scoop and hose that leads to the air box. Then I went to Ace hardware and bought a 2-2 1/2 foot length of clear tubing (I cant remeber the diameter, but it was large enough to go over the outlet of the scoop) and some hose clamps. I mounted the scoop upside down to the bottom of my bumper and ran the clear tubing from the scoop to my airbox. I'm not really sure of exactly how well it worked, but the airflow had to have been better than the scoop stuffed under the hood (and plus you couldnt see the scoop unless you got down and looked at the bottom of the bumper).

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
i cut the little piece of plastic off the backside of that little triangle.........then realized i cut the front off so i cut the other side so now both sides are cut...pretty sure it didnt help any really but looks kinda cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
intake mods

first thanks to you all for your input and advice in these forums.
second ....03_SPI-SEDAN i wanted to ask if you've noticed any change yet?
also doesn't that ridge in front of the scoop give enough "ridge" to the air to jump
right over that crevice? Your idea sounds solid.....i just had the assumption
the ridge made a pressure wave that cleared that crevice.
I recently did the DIY Iceman intake (resonator removal and dryer duct intake)
in addition to the stock. I've yet to note any change but like the idea of more
cold air available than necessary.
I previously bought 1.5inch flex tube and a 1.5inch ell at home depot to make my
own iceman but found the flex tube (plastic) wasn't as large as i wanted to "scoop"
air. I think it's smoother and more durable than the dryer ducting but have yet to find the right scoop. As is the dryer duct is shoved into a mount next to the horn
for now. It gets air right from the bottom grill.
I hate to sate it but I found myself back at home depot checking the flues for
stovepipes. I was thinking a 10 inch flue reduced to 6 inch reduced to 4 inch to a
4inch dryer hose would shove a lot of air. It would look pretty awful though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Why not just remove the entire rock deflector piece? That was probably the first 'mod' i ever did, along with the resonator removal ... Not sure if it helped, but I also liked the idea that more air could get in my snorkel ... and it's not like a rock would get through the filter anyway if you're worried about something getting into your throttle body & eventually your engine ... I just don't think that's a reasonable worry.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cuz it looks ugly without it. i'm trying to keep a stock look to it. with that gone it really just looks ugly. The euo one has a bump and goes over the snorkle for more cold air, you can get onr from european-parts.net looks like it worth it

·
Registered
461 Posts
i like having it all removed, less plastic in the engine bay is good : )

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^ i'm the opposite, i wish they had an engine cover for the SPI.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ yeh i do plan on getting that however it's not my top priority since it's only a slight upgrade. this will do the trick for now since i am ona college student budget.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Time to resurrect an old thread.......I just did this mod. I have a 2004 SPI, and I bought an SVT snorkel off a fellow FF'er. I made sure to buy the bottom of the SVT airbox too, since the SPI/Zetec snorkel have a different cross section than the SVT snorkel where it plugs in. To see it, it was striking. The SVT snorkel is ALOT bigger than SPI. So I installed that, and also used dremel to cut the backside of the debris ridge out. Then, just like was done with that peice of sheetmetel by 03_SPI, (I very cheaply used cardboard, painted black...no flames please, it started as my template, and kida stayed there) to ramp the air from the grille up to the snorkel mouth.

Differences: Very little, performance wise. I can feel it pull a little bit more, but not much. Some opinions I have heard dictate that I didn't feel much change because I didnt increase the size of the pipe going from MAF to TB, guess its possible. I will note a pretty significant sucking sound, even at idle...though it seems to be cause more by the SVT airbox having a much larger hole left behind after taking out the resonator.

Nick

**On a side note, alot of opinions on the forums have also dictated that the SVT stock setup flowed as well as a volant, with dyno results to back it up; something about a test by Oscar Jackson. Reading the threads that sited such testing was a big part of the reason I went this route as opposed to an aftermarket intake (price, SPI availability, and the amount of rain in Florida as it pertains to CAI setups were also factors). What do all think about this sentiment?**

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm considering getting the SVT lower box and snorkle as well. I think it's a little too expensive for such a little gain though, for me. I already spent $140 on my intake, why would I spend a hundred more for that?

Now if I could find one at a junkyard, that would be great.

What I suggest is what I will be attempting ina few weeks. Buy a piece of vacuum hose from Home Depot, run it from inside the box through the resinator hole and either througgh the fire wall, or down by the fog lights. I will most likely be putting it right next to the dirver side fog light with the opening facing the wind. I'm not expecting a huge preformance gain, but again much like the original concept of this thread a good piece of mind. And when installing the hose you can be as messy/sloppy as you want, duct taping the end of the vacuum hose inside the airbox because no one will ever see it!

I am also considering replacing the snorkle with the same concept of the vacuum hose running through the lower grille, but I don't want to leave that large gap in the engine bay and lose the stock look under the hood...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, I only paid $50 for the snorkel, lower box, upper box, and TB elbow. It was a private sale on the forum.......and if I remember correctly, someone else posted the same setup for $40 a couple days after I bought mine. Hell, you could probably sell your current intake for much more than $40....

Nick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts