Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed, since day one with the SVT, that a period of time spent above 60 mph is followed by a strange smell. The closest thing I can think of to describe it is the smell of cooked antifreeze. I can smell this IN the car--when at the stoplight and when I park.

Doesn't seem to be related to driving style--as I haven't smelled it on a quick zippy trip to the grocery store speeds under 50 mph. But I have smelled it on after a leisurely 2-hour jaunt on the highway speeds over 60 mph.

Fluids are topped off.

The engine and oil temp guages never get above middle, so I don't think it's overheating.

Only 400 miles on the car, though--is this some sort of "break-in smell" associated with new SVT Foci?

Any tips before I take it by the dealership for a once-over? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Beetle

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about. I had that same smell the first time I drove the car to work. Once again takin the family to dinner. That was about 1,200 miles ago, haven't smelled it since. If I do, I will taker er in.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
I had a similar smell on my ZX3 2.3L for about the first 500 miles or so. Havent smelled it since.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had this funk smell when my car was new ( I got it with 201miles) Anyways about 5-600 miles on the car it was gone. They said it was paper products on the engine and exhaust that were burning / melting into place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts