Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 5 speed 2005 ST has developed a concerning sound in the past few days. A couple really. But the most noticible is a sort of groaning/scraping noise that oscillates, and increases in frequency with speed (but sort of weirdly, with bumps/suspensions travel/turns). It kind of sounds like a shot bearing, but really only presents itself when I accelerate hard. I have heard things about a motor mount? I dunno though, ya'll can listen for yourselves. Oh and also this is my first post, hi guys :)
the st sounds funky :/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmm.... sounds to me like the noise presents itself through the engine and exhaust rather than a brake issue. Not that it's difficult to check the brakes so might as well, but I'm betting that's not the culprit. Is the boost or acceleration inconsistent also, like, pulsing? Or is it just the noise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.... sounds to me like the noise presents itself through the engine and exhaust rather than a brake issue. Not that it's difficult to check the brakes so might as well, but I'm betting that's not the culprit. Is the boost or acceleration inconsistent also, like, pulsing? Or is it just the noise?
Well, I found metal shavings in my oil pan :/
I know some duratecs have a bad tendency to burn oil, and i neglected to check it for a very long time. That, plus a hard corner meant spun bearing I think. Makes a good excuse for a 2.5 swap though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Spun bearing would be a likely bet. When the car corners and leans like you said or when there's torque on the crank would be perfect times for the engine to exploit an unseated race. I know you can save some of that oil and mail it into certain places that may be able to determine what the exact issue is should you be considering a repair, but as I've never done this myself I'm not sure of the accuracy. Maybe someone else will chime in who has had a similar issue or had to send their oil to a lab?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spun bearing would be a likely bet. When the car corners and leans like you said or when there's torque on the crank would be perfect times for the engine to exploit an unseated race. I know you can save some of that oil and mail it into certain places that may be able to determine what the exact issue is should you be considering a repair, but as I've never done this myself I'm not sure of the accuracy. Maybe someone else will chime in who has had a similar issue or had to send their oil to a lab?
What I've seen is most likely is that the engine gets starved of oil, because there isn't a baffle in the pan, and the bearings say abuenos adios. I let the oil get wayyyy low too so that didn't help.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What I've seen is most likely is that the engine gets starved of oil, because there isn't a baffle in the pan, and the bearings say abuenos adios. I let the oil get wayyyy low too so that didn't help.
Thats the issue......You let the oil level get low & it takes out the rod bearings. When you have it tore down, pull the balance shaft out(4 bolts) & toss it. Get a bsd plug & install it which is toward the back & the drivers side to block of the bs oil feed hole. Then you'll install 6qtrs w/ filter. A baffle isn't really needed even thou I have one.....Have a look at the design of the block will tell ya'.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts