Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's my story and I'm sticking to it. I had my first oil change at around 3500 miles.The oil was a bit dirty and all was well. Coming on to 8900 miles, I new it was due so I figured I would check the oil before we went out and the oil wasn't even registering on the dipstick. I called the dealer and the service advisor said bring it in right away. I brought it in and he said they would have a look and to do an oil change. I said I wasnt going to pay for an oil change to a car that only has 8900 miles on it with no oil. Then the advisor tells me all motors burn oil at different rates and it could even be the dipstick is too short. Then he goes on to tell me he can't authorize a free oil change, and his manager wasn't there to approve it and it would have come out of his pocket. I couldn't believe it. I said to top it off and I would talk to the dealership manager later. He wouldn't even do that, so I said I'm leaving. He then went and said Ford can't be held responsible for my actions if I leave. At this time the manager of the dealership walks by and asked what the problem was. I told him and he said he would authorize an oil change.All well and good now, so when they were done I saw the tech and he said there were no leaks and he marked the dipstick and I have to take it to the dealer every 1000 miles so they can monitor the situation. I apologized to the advisor later for being short and he seemed pretty smug like I did him wrong.We'll see how it goes. maybe a bad valve seat or bad rings or something? Is anyone else experiencing a loss of oil?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And with all the sensors and gauges you would think they would have a warning for low oil or at least a pressure gauge. There. I feel better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry about the problems- it's definitely not normal and you should definitely stay on top of it. Did a sensor go off (check engine/oil) sensor go off when your oil level fell too low? If it didn't, that would also be troubling.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dave, No sensor went off. I'm glad I checked it when I did. Maybe when the dealer changed the oil the first time they didn't put enough in. Does anyone know how much oil is missing if its just below the dipstick? I could have been well below it, bu I'm just wondering how much oil was left and if it did any more damage.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Normally, your dipstick can be empty with a quart or two still in the pan. Your oil sensor will go off but like most cars it's generally too late when that happens.

You're not the only one on the forums who's experienced an oil leak or low-oil situation. There's another thread about it somewhere on here, so rest assured you're not alone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Our new 2012 Titatimum HB has been using oil. Afteer a complaint, the dealer is also started an oil watch on my vehicle at 8327 miles marking the dipstick. They said they are establishing oil levels for consumption on the dipstick per a WSM.

After delivery about two weeks later I checked the oil and it took 3/4ths of a quart to bring it to the top of the dip stick cross hatches. I cannot say what level it was when delivered as I did not check it, who would?

I had our oil changed at 3779 miles I checked it and topped it back off at 4500 miles with 3/4th of a quart bringing in the oil level up to the top to the cross hatch markes on the dip stick.

After a 500 mile trip it was 1/2 a quart low again. No leaks are present as we park in our garage and would notice a leak as soon as one of us pulls out.

I had the oil changed again at 8327 miles and checked the oil level yesterday at 8900 miles. It appeared to have not changed. Maybe it is a break-in issue. I sure hope so but you are best to document it if there is a recall later.

PS: we have the same color Focus, good choice!!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Hi Dave, No sensor went off. I'm glad I checked it when I did. Maybe when the dealer changed the oil the first time they didn't put enough in. Does anyone know how much oil is missing if its just below the dipstick? I could have been well below it, bu I'm just wondering how much oil was left and if it did any more damage.
It might be less than 1 qt. low (from the bottom of the normal range).

Other factors:
1) When the first oil change was done, the oil level may have been on the low side of normal.
2) The service advisor is right. Different engines use different amounts of oil.

If you never got a low oil pressure warning, you are probably OK.

Do you follow the recommended intervals for checking the oil (in the owners guide)?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The oil level not being monitored is one last failure of car makers to do something which helps the owners.
I wonder if it is a situation where an engine failure cost so much that manufacturers think a failed light is more likel to cause a warranty engine replacement?
I mean then customers can say "no light came on", so the manufacturer is responsible?
So they would rather just NOT have a warning light.. (other than the standard idiot light for oil pressure, which usually only alerts for low oil when it is way too late, like EMPTY.)

The moral of the story is oil is the lifeblood of your engine. Check it often. At minumum each tankfull of gas IF you want to have no suprises.
Once you have a standard to base you checking on.. then maybe a little less often.

(I confess I have only checked my oil twice so far.)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's been a habit of GDI engines to consume oil. My Mazdaspeed 3 would consume almost 2qts every 3,000 miles... I attribute that to the engine itself and to the turbocharger... the PCV system setup was crap, so oil blowby was highly present, my intercooler and intake had a thin film of oil blowby on the couplers when I checked before stocking it out to trade it in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's been a habit of GDI engines to consume oil. My Mazdaspeed 3 would consume almost 2qts every 3,000 miles... I attribute that to the engine itself and to the turbocharger... the PCV system setup was crap, so oil blowby was highly present, my intercooler and intake had a thin film of oil blowby on the couplers when I checked before stocking it out to trade it in.

As much as I hate to say it feta_mgp is right. Direct injection motors do burn more oil. Not as bad a my old RX-8, but that was a rotary. It did teach me to check my oil at almost every fill up though.

Moral of the story is be more vigilant about checking your oil level and I don't care what Ford or the cars oil monitoring system tells you, change your oil every 3K to 4K miles. Follow these steps and you'll know if you have a problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
As much as I hate to say it feta_mgp is right. Direct injection motors do burn more oil. Not as bad a my old RX-8, but that was a rotary. It did teach me to check my oil at almost every fill up though.

Moral of the story is be more vigilant about checking your oil level and I don't care what Ford or the cars oil monitoring system tells you, change your oil every 3K to 4K miles. Follow these steps and you'll know if you have a problem.

Good luck.
+1, I know they say 5k miles, but that's what they said years ago anyway, and I still went every 3k for my MS3, just can't be too careful.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I just checked my car - it's been about 5k since my oil change and I've still got a good amount of oil showing on my dipstick. (Though it is looking like it needs to be changed...)

EDIT: Maybe not? It was like 1/2 way down my dipstick, so maybe it has used a bit? I plan on changing it within a week anyway.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mine seems to be burning oil also, though not badly. I changed my oil at 2000 miles to get rid of any possible metal shavings left from manufacturing. I checked the oil level the other day (at 4000 miles) and it was halfway down the dipstick already. So it wouldn't surprise me at this rate that if you went 8000 miles without changing your oil you saw nothing.

Personally, I don't care what the dealer says I change my oil every 5000 miles. Car companies make money by selling cars; if they let people go 10,000 between oil changes and your engine wears out earlier it makes them money because now you need a new one. Yes, its true that oil "lasts" up to 12,000 miles these days, but filters can't. It doesn't matter how well your oil can theoreticly clean and flow if your filter is clogged up with dirt.

So yes, its unfortunate that this happened, but I suggest changing your oil every 3500-5000 miles to prevent this from happening again and prolonging the life of your engine. Also, don't go to Jiffy lube.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Mine seems to be burning oil also, though not badly. I changed my oil at 2000 miles to get rid of any possible metal shavings left from manufacturing. I checked the oil level the other day (at 4000 miles) and it was halfway down the dipstick already. So it wouldn't surprise me at this rate that if you went 8000 miles without changing your oil you saw nothing.

Personally, I don't care what the dealer says I change my oil every 5000 miles. Car companies make money by selling cars; if they let people go 10,000 between oil changes and your engine wears out earlier it makes them money because now you need a new one. Yes, its true that oil "lasts" up to 12,000 miles these days, but filters can't. It doesn't matter how well your oil can theoreticly clean and flow if your filter is clogged up with dirt.

So yes, its unfortunate that this happened, but I suggest changing your oil every 3500-5000 miles to prevent this from happening again and prolonging the life of your engine. Also, don't go to Jiffy lube.
Don't go to any "quick-lube" place, whether it's Wal-mart, Jiffy Lube, Keith's Oil Can, etc. personally I don't 100% trust anyone but myself with an oil change, unless it's someplace like a mom and pop shop that's been around and know their stuff, we have a few of them around here that I'd use if the price was right.

I stick to the dealership though, even though I don't have 100% confidence in their ability, not chancing a denied warranty claim by not taking it to them while I can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't understand why we should expect GDI engines to use more oil than EFI engines. Where's the connection?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does the owner's manual say expect to add oil between oil changes? I don't think so. It would be nice if these tid bits were disclosed at the point of sale. I don't remember my last direct injection which had a turbo ever eating up oil at that rate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the warning!!!! I just checked my dipstick and it shows 1/2 quart low after 1500 miles. That is not a welcome surprise. Ford should warn us if these engines do consume oil excessively. For now, I am going to write it off to break-in, but I am definitely not happy if I bought an oil burner.

OTOH, maybe it is a function of the 0-20w?

CORRECTION: 5W-20

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's 5w20 and yes using thin oils in engines does increase consumption specially in hot running engines.(like this one)
Checking oil once a week is normal and should be done 15 minutes after stopping the car after driving it.
I actually prefer to check it first thing in the morning after it has been standing the whole night.
If the oil is between the top and bottom hatch marks this is normal.(do not add oil)
If it is below or close the bottom of the hatch marks add oil.
Make sure that you do not overfill. Overfilling is extremely dangerous (have a look at the manual.)
The vehicle must be absolutely level to get a good oil level reading.
BTW when I received my vehicle it was about 5mm below the top of the hatch mark.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hmmm I'll have to check on this more often. I don't know why they took away GAUGES for dummy lights. It could save a few engines if they actually tried. I came in for an oil change to the dealer at my first 3,000 miles and he said oh you don't need it changed until 5000 miles. I said, oh well it's free anyway. Now I'm glad I got it changed "early." Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Does the owner's manual say expect to add oil between oil changes? I don't think so. It would be nice if these tid bits were disclosed at the point of sale. I don't remember my last direct injection which had a turbo ever eating up oil at that rate.
I doubt the salesman knows anything about how much oil the car consumes... if anything your service dept. should be explaining it at your first oil change. What kind of car did you have before? There are a lot of factors that can contribute to oil consumption, remember, this ISN'T your old car, I made a generalization based on my experiences, my comment that GDI engines eat more oil was in no way supposed to be considered a fact.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts