Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so, I'm taking my car to the car tomorrow to see what it runs stock. However, there is an event coming up here on june 16th at the drag strip, and I'm looking to get a bit more speed out of the focus. Now, I'm going to be picking up a CAI, but I'm looking at a nitrous kit, and I just have a few questions.

One - Of those running N2O on here, what's more popular/user/car friendly, a dry kit or wet kit?
Two - I'm only thinking about running a 25-50 hp shot, just enough for some more "umph"...After reading the nitrous sticky, I see 40-50 is pretty popular....sounds right?
Three - One of the reasons I'm considering nitrous is my dad's got a spare bottle and some extra plumbing lines from his car. Now, I realize that piecing something together is different than buying a kit, BUT, from what I've read, a Dry kit is mainly the bottle, plumbing, solenoid, nozzle, arming and activation switches, correct? If I pieced a kit together, I was thinking of picking these up:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NOS%2D16020NOS&N=400047+4294845784+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NOS%2D13700NOS&N=400047+4294847499+115&autoview=sku

I found this: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL%2D70408&view=1&N=4294908331+4294907542+4294924653+4294925239+4294839080+0 for our cars, and the kit I'd piece together doesn't seem much different.

Lastly - For running a dry kit, is anyone running an AFPR? my dad seems to think running a dry shot will make the car run too lean and burn it up, any thoughts on that? I'd like to try sticking to a dry shot kit if I can...

Also - Where would the nozzle be mounted? right in front of the TB I'm assuming....correct?

Actually lastly - Is anyone running a purge system on a dry kit? stupid question, but, it's possible, right?

·
Registered
864 Posts
run a wet system.
go to howellautomotive.com and get their focus system
only problem is i've ordered mine from them and am still waiting for it. over 1 month now

-Jon-

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'd spend the extra few dollars to get another solenoid and a fuel rail tap, and cobble together a wet system. It really won't be that much harder.

Lots of people use bits and pieces to build their kit, so you will be fine, as long as your dad is willing to help you set it all up, sounds like he's probably done a few cars before.

Dry kits are pretty risky, since we have a returnless fuel system. It is kind of hard to trick this system into adding the extra fuel needed. Not impossible, but probably easier in the long run to just go with the wet kit in the first place.

·
Registered
25,630 Posts
One more chime in for a wet system. A little more plumbing , but I think they are safer. Also, a 50 shot should be fine. Premium gas only!

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yep, wet kit, it's the best of both worlds, the most power with the least wear and tear. now, don't get me wrong, direct port will do WAY more power than wet, but it will tear up your engine pretty bad.

personally i thing you should spring for a purge, you can drop upwards to 2 tenths off a 1/4 time.

the spray nozzle for your nox should be anywhere in the intake between the MAF and the TB. probably directly in the middle of the 2

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the replys so far are almost exactly what I was hoping to hear....thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.