Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.ignitionsolutions.com
The Plasma Booster installed in 5-10 mins and gave me AWESOME performance gains off the line. Better Throttle response. And I cant wait to see how it feels after my YRF0 update!!! Learn this technology It kicks Arse![:D]

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Have you dynoed this yet? I doubt you'll see 5-10 hp but I can be wrong. Eurotuner did an install with their stuff on a BMW and while it helped, it wasn't significant, especially for the money.

How much did you spend on it, and where did you purchase it from?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I tend to question things like this also. I'm with essteevee on this, so I would like to know the answers to his questions also. Let us know, really would appreciate it. [;0]

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you look at the graph, the peak is almost 1.4kV less than stock. Doesnt sound like something you want to place in your ignition system.

Kurt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Multiple Spark Discharge... aka MSD. As in MSD Ignition. Just rehashing someone else's technology, or so it seems to me. A quote from MSD's site...

"Not only did the multiple spark discharge (MSD) ignite the lean fuel mixture, it made overall improvements in the engine's performance! Improved starting, smooth idle, less emissions and more power are benefits every car and truck can take advantage of, especially race cars."

and a quote from the "plasma" booster.

"Notice the Multiple Spark Discharge of about 10 Sparks within 500 micro seconds of the total spark."

Some people swear by MSD, personally I don't think the gains are worth the money.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If im not mistaken, the MSD ignition systems also deliver a higher peak voltage as well as multiple spark. I think this plasma booster is a gimmick, just like that tornado thing.

Kurt

·
Registered
59 Posts
In just a few weeks, you'll see that Oxy Clean dude selling this thing on TV, for $19.95. BUT, if you call now, you'll get a second Plasma Booster absolutely free! [rofl]

No offense intended SVT Racer, I just pictured that dude selling this thing and had to share. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First day after install

Yesterday was the day I had it installed, I have now had a chance to hit the streets and the highways, and let me tell you...IT IS NOT A GIMMICK.....I love it...ADDITIONAL POWER ACCROSS THE WHOLE BOARD. Everything runs smoother!!!!! I kid you not. A very well invested $180 bucks. If you want to get more fuel efficiency and pick up some horsies this is a 5-10 min fix. I am not a salesman for them and they didnt have to pitch it to me it was suggested by JBA. I am going to get the new prog. flashed into my system then get it thrown on the new SCT program where they will dyno tune it twice (before and after they chip it). I will post the Dyno results. I havent got actual 1/4 mile times or anything but the car feels 110% better.[thumb]

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Uh huh, k. Well you just do all of that. I cant wait to see the results from the dyno. Really looking forward to those.

Sorry but is it just me or does $180.00 seem a little high for just a est non proven 5 - 10 Hp gain. No pun intended but things like this I'm skeptical of.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sometimes, we want to believe things work so much that we begin to beleive they do. Im not saying that thie plasma booster isnt actually helping, but being an electrical engineer, the idea just doesnt hold up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can all think whatever you would like, Why in the HELL would I try to talk it up, I dont work for them im not a salesman for them. I am TELLING you that there are performance benefits. whether you believe me or not is your own problem. I am not trying to rationalize my purchase. $200 is change and was well spent change I might add.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found a dyno graph of it. It's not just any graph either, it's an "actual" graph... 5 - 10hp isn't correct at all. It's more like 18hp and 16#'s of torque on this '99 Mustang Cobra!!! [screwy]

actualgraph.gif

·
Registered
522 Posts
MSD's are more of a throtle responce upgrade mod then a hp gain. Droped on in a my honda while back and was amazed at how much better the car felt but probably wouldn't really see it on the dyno. I recomend getting one, they're cheap enough. I think MSD has one with a rev limit too now.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i think it probably does work but im not gunna go out and buy it without having a reliable source like a magazine or something review it. (not saying your butt dyno isnt reliable)

·
Registered
123 Posts
im not callin anyone liars here but it just seemed to me to be too good to be true.anyways how could it be possible to pull that much power out of something that just sparks the fuel,given i know jack shit about this stuff im just baffled by the projected gains from this thing.my only question would be how could it get that much power(neglecting the answer it doesnt)?

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Basically, by increasing spark power and having mulitple sparks per combustion event , a more complete combustion of the fuel is achieved. There will be a power increase, a torque increase, and a more responsive/smoother feeling engine. The basic technology has been used for decades, and companies like MSD and Jacobs Electronics, Holley, Accel, and others sell like type products (although with may more feature options). This mod works even better with any other mod. Price is price and hp ain't cheap. Some will say spend it elsewhere. I say if you spend it, you will benefit from it. The only thing is, I have never heard of this company.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts