Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not sure this is where I have to ask, but I would like to know if the engine should show at idle 700/750 rpm ? Is it the standard on Focus 2012 ? I couldn't find anything on the net about it. My last car, Cougar 2001 S (manual), "idled" at 900 rpm. And yes, it is running pretty well for an "automatic" so I want only to know if it is the new engine or ...
Thank you all, and if this thread has no place here, please move it where it should be.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine idles between 650-750 rpm depending on how warm it is. My last car idled smooth at 900rpm but would shake a bit below that. The ff idles very smoothly even at 650!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Superd ! [thumb]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Im at 800, ive tried 750, 700 and 650 and it shakes and doesnt feel smooth.

It seems happy at 800.

Im running an ATX so i wanted a low idle that wouldnt pull at a stop, IMO its not good to just let it try and pull while your on the brake at the same time so i wnated to try and get it low enough it wouldnt 800 seems to be the best.

I think 900-1000 is where most of the Dtecs are set at though.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The engine will idle where it wants to. It can adjust itself to idle. Mine idled at 750 or so new, now it idles like at 600rpm..
With airconditioning on it is going to idle faster.
I would not worry about the idle unless it is over 1,000.. IMO.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you BowerR64 ! Mine seems happy at 700 rpm too, I was just intrigued about this low idle rpm. [cheers]

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine idles low as well- i would like to bring it up to about 8000, does anyone know how

the new focus rocks on hyway and off - very little concerns here

·
Registered
4 Posts
i work at a Ford dealer and there is a update for the PCM for rough idle. you can have it installed if you ask. mine seems to idle a little jerky but didnt update,waiting to see if update hurts power or not.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well mine is the last focus with fly by wire. 08 and up use a servo or something so you cant really mess with it.

I did this mod to my throttle body and part of the mod was to clean out the idle stop screw and adjust it. I set mine with the stop screw and the IAC unhooked to about 6-700 but i always had a shake it would never die but just seemed rough.

After i got the tuner device it has settings in it to adjust the idle. I played around with all of them and never found a happy spot so i just cranked my idle stop screw down a 1/2 a turn or so and now its at 800 which still seems to slightly pull in drive but not bad.

Ive seen others 05-07 and they were all 1k like i said so 800 is fine by me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i work at a Ford dealer and there is a update for the PCM for rough idle. you can have it installed if you ask. mine seems to idle a little jerky but didnt update,waiting to see if update hurts power or not.
What's the TSB number for this? My car does idle roughly sometimes.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Manual SE that has a rough idle approximately 80% of the time. It may be just by chance but I definitely did not notice the rough idle until I did that silly ECU flash that had something to do with California emissions laws.

Someone posted earlier you can take this in and they can fix it electronically. Any truth to this? I'm not super picky about the rough idle but I wouldn't want to hurt my engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im at 800, ive tried 750, 700 and 650 and it shakes and doesnt feel smooth.

It seems happy at 800.

Im running an ATX so i wanted a low idle that wouldnt pull at a stop, IMO its not good to just let it try and pull while your on the brake at the same time so i wnated to try and get it low enough it wouldnt 800 seems to be the best.

I think 900-1000 is where most of the Dtecs are set at though.
Interesting post. So do you drive a '12 Focus? I ask because of the info about what you drive. If you have Focus, how did you "try" all those idle speeds?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
no mine is the 07 duratec same engine i believe?

Why i posted is because ive tried different idle settings by turning the idle stop screw and using the settings in the SCT hand held tuner device.

I wanted mine to idle but not pull because i dont think its good if its pulling and your at a light with the brake on to me thats not good but maybe it doesnt hurt them i dont know.

if i adjust it so it idles and doesnt pull in drive it runs very rough. But ive also found if i adjust it with the SCT device at odd idle settings like 650, 750, 850 even 950 it ran rough. but if i set it at the even amounts say 600, 700, 800 it seems to idle better.

not sure why or what this means just posting what ive tried and what ive found.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone had the PCM update performed for rough idle?
I had it done with the DCT update and I can tell you its much more responsive off the start. My idle is still at 750rpm but when pushing down on the accelerator, that lag that was there before, isn't.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I wanted mine to idle but not pull because i dont think its good if its pulling and your at a light with the brake on to me thats not good but maybe it doesnt hurt them i dont know.
So confused...

You think that basically every car sold in the last 40 years with an automatic transmission is idling too high because they pull without throttle input? And that hundreds or thousands of automotive engineers during that time period failed to understand that this was somehow "not good?"

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure this is an all new motor for 2012. Or, at a minimum, a significant upgrade over the last one. In any case, it makes 20 more HP and is direct injected, which the last one wasn't.

I really don't get all this talk about "trying out" different idle speeds. There should be absolutely no reason not to just let the engine do it's thing, but I guess some people feel like they need to mess with everything. [scratch]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts