Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be adding as i do some more finding and testing on my own as well.

Many of you guys like to ask, well so what if it is a halogen projector or or so what if it's HID spec projector. Well here are two pictures i took myself of why this sort of thing can and in fact does matter when installing these systems in our headlights.

Below are two pictures taken in my own living room.

Below is a Hella Spec projector......but in what??

And the cut off pictured here is from a TSX spec valeo projector.

^^^ So why would such nice projectors put off such HORRID cut off??

the answer is easy guys these were made to be used properly and correctly with the aid of a HID kit stock or aftermarket. The way projectors and shields as well as how a bulb is made will determine the way our light is shown.

A stock OEM style halogen or even a Xenon has what? A colored tip if you look. This sits behind the shield and the light is thrown from the areas behind that tip reflected. When it is put into a housing with no "mirrors" if you will. It is thrown like above.

Now a HID bulb has a more slender typically a bit longer full bulb. Without going into detail this is the difference when a projector is correctly fitted with the right style light source.

(not perfect) But this is our TSX spec valeo with a 6000k HID Xentech kit tested from my own car.

Notice how its a full and adequate throw with all areas lit and a single cut off then light below? This is how to tell specifically is a projector is designed for such usage. Because when installed you obviosuly see a huge difference.

Like i said more to come. Also the top picture is in fact a set of MACH's i am painting. I will try and do an HID shot to show them as well and show the difference. The other projector shown was the retro fit i am stalled on waiting for plexi to arrive.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW i would rahter not have stuff copied and pasted. I know i did a double post. But i want this to be more of a fellow fanatic who has done the tests and so forth rather then with perfect 100% stuff in a lab. I will be updating as i do more stuff like this.

Keep a close eye as i will also be going more into the HID vs Halogen stuff

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Aku will have to be alerted that hid headlights are on FF, lol.

·
Registered
289 Posts
the bottom pic is what im looin for.thanks for the great info as well

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
show what they look like in the machs, I am getting some!!!

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys the minute i get the machs painted ill do a test HID run as i found a H7 will work in the projector. So you can have a good idea.

More info to come tomorrow including pics of H4 HID's installed in a set of stock lights on my own car to show why this is not a good option.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok so today i opened a box and what do i see????

Why a 2003 Grey set of sotck headlights and H4 HID bulbs. Well here is the result. One is a stock reflector with a HID and then my retro fit on the left.

I will let you decide what to do.

Hmmm where is the stock light??

Note with my 6000k on the right, you can see quite a bit of the lens. My camera sucks but you can see consdierable glare as opposed to a projector setup on the right.

Fixed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts