Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I decided to make an attempt at vinyl wrapping some of the bits of the front of my car. I think it turned out alright for this being my first go at vinyl wrapping. It was pretty straight forward but if anyone has any questions just let me know! [like]

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks great, I too wrapped my front badges in vinyl, my question is how did you cut out the ford symbol? I want to but the lines are so faint I am afraid I will mess it up or push too hard and scratch up my plasitc

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Okay, so did you just overlay the emblem and then cut out around the outside? Looks good!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Haha ok. Once I thought about, I figured that's what happened. Vinyl pretty easy to put on? I have never done it before.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Haha ok. Once I thought about, I figured that's what happened. Vinyl pretty easy to put on? I have never done it before.
I had never done it and with a heat gun I was unstoppable. Its actually pretty easy. I was almost impressed that OP cut the logo out himself haha

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't to bad I mainly just used an old credit card to tuck everything in and even did some of the cutting with it. Since it was my first time messing with vinyl to I definitely had to redo each piece at least once so it definitely wasn't perfect on the first try. There are still a couple of imperfections but you wouldn't be able to notice unless you were right on top of it.

So overall just taking your time with it was the biggest thing to keep in mind when going through the wrapping process. I also have the overlays for the steering wheel and rear of the car, but didn't have time to do those last night. I'll probably do that tomorrow if time permits so I'll post pictures of those as well when I'm done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Yeah I am familiar with tfbdesigns. Actually have sent some people their way.
Thanks for the link. Look forward to more pictures of what you do!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Last question...for now.

Do you need a heat gun to do this or would a hair dryer work as well?

Does the heat just shrink it on there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem man, I've definitely got a couple of smaller projects planned just have to find the time between school, work, and the rest of life haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last question...for now.

Do you need a heat gun to do this or would a hair dryer work as well?

Does the heat just shrink it on there?
I just used a hair dryer and from what I could tell it just helped make the vinyl more malleable, thus easier to get coverage at the edges. Also the heat apparently helps the adhesive attach to what you're wrapping.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
So you just cut a portion comparable in size to what you want to wrap and heat it up, wait a few, then trim the extra.

That was it I promise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you just cut a portion comparable in size to what you want to wrap and heat it up, wait a few, then trim the extra.

That was it I promise.
Haha its fine man, and I just cut the vinyl out with excess at every end then smoothed it out hit it with some heat and started cutting right away no wait time. At least that's how I did it haha I'm no expert so that may not be the optimal way of doing things but it seemed to work for me.

Oh and make sure you clean the surface well before starting I just used some rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth

1 - 19 of 19 Posts