Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Not even sure where to start here but here I go.

My car, a 2000 focus wagaon, when parked friday afternoon was running fine. I went out of town this weekend with the family and my car sat undrove. I started the car Monday morning to head to work and these things are now wrong:

1- Care shifter button will not engage to put car into gear.
2- I now realize that I have no brake lights
3- A/C will not turn on
4- No windshield wipers
5- No power window controls

I guess I'm a bit overwhelmed as to what could have possible gone wrong to this car this weekend to cause all these electrical problems. I know all these problems arose just this morning for a few simple reasons. It was raining on friday when I came home so I used wipers, I went to the bank drive thru and the window went down and while the a/c hasn't blown very cold for some time now it worked to circulate the air in the car on a hot florida afternoon.

I checked fuses and all seem to be fine. I'm not sure if there are any main electrical relays that would some how control all these elements. I just hope somebody can help me out..... please.

Thank You
Eric

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Could it be just a low battery? That could cause most if not all of those problems.
^^ This.

Have you started the car after you initial start? I've had all sorts of weird thing happen when I start the car with a low battery such as the windshield wiper not working and the radio spontaneously turning on and off.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My 2000 has a little disarm plug/connector under the steering wheel and dash (right hand side)

Those plugs have been known to fall out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
"""I now realize that I have no brake lights""""

What if the wires inside the hatch umbilical shorted/opened up causing the brake light problem but ALSO blew a fuse or two...

Of course that does not explain ALL the problems

But I repaired enough equipment when there were two or more faults that caused real grief

So very thoroughly check the fuses

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Battery test using the electronic odometer:
1) Press and hold the odo reset button
2) Turn key to ON still holding odo reset button
3) Gauge needles will jump, and the display will read [test]
4) Every time you press and release the odo reset button it will scroll through one of 30 different test functions until you turn the key OFF. Look for the display to read like this [bat 12.2] That's your battery voltage, if you start the car that's the alternator voltage. I'd guess you're not going to see 12v, you'll likely see more like 8-10.

You can unlock your shifter using the emergency shifter unlock. It's under a round plug in the console- refer to your owner's manual. You should be able to unlock it with a key. Then I'd suggest moving the shifter to N, and try starting there- but only if you're showing more than 10v.

Ignore the brake lights for now, get the engine cranking or running or there's no need to worry about brake lights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses everyone. All the fuses checked out, under the hood and the interior compartment. I drove the car to an auto parts store and they checked the batter and alternator and both were where they needed to be. Could a faulty ignition be causing these problems?

Thanks again
Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help.

I found the problem. It seems the secondary power cable (small of the two coming off the batter) from either friction or age had worn from sitting against the engine. It wore through then shorted out. I talked to a ford mechanic in my town here and he was cool enough to offer that I look there. I replaced the cable and re routed it to avoid future problems hopefully. But soon as I replaced the cable and reattached the battery all systems came back normal. For good measure I also replaced all the battery terminals and trimmed back the main line before reconnection. Thanks again. this forum will be a god send for my aging focus.

Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts