Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posting in the duratec performance since different engine management systems may react differently to these.

These questions are mostly theoretical (and show i have way too much time on my hands)

could the tubing for the car's AC be rerouted and looped around the intake to cool the incoming air?

a heatshield is going to eventually heat up, essentially defeating the purpose of having it in the first place. could it be coated in ceramic to make it a bit more resistant?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
In theory, yes. However, the problem with that is running the AC 24/7 will negate any gains from a cooler intake chage.

The SVT Lightning prototype got past this by using the AC to chill a resevoir while regular cruising, and when you went WOT, it circulated the chilled refridgerant from the resevoir to cool the intake charge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Egz said:
In theory, yes. However, the problem with that is running the AC 24/7 will negate any gains from a cooler intake chage.
what about for supercharged or turbocharged applications? or would that be an intercooler?

Egz said:
The SVT Lightning prototype got past this by using the AC to chill a resevoir while regular cruising, and when you went WOT, it circulated the chilled refridgerant from the resevoir to cool the intake charge.
what's WOT?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
my friend tried this on his mustang but they make a kit that does the same thing without the ac is sends cooler air to the intake and its cheap like a 100 bucks in not in intercooler or anything i forget what it was called

·
Registered
295 Posts
I remember reading about a couple of turbocharged Jaguars running around using the ac to cool the intercooler down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess the focus is just a bit too anemic to be running around with the AC on :p

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
OK, think about this. How long does it take for air to enter the beginning of the intake to the chamber? Not very long. I would wager it's less that a second. How much can the air heat up in this period of time? It depends upon how hot the surfaces are that it comes in contact with. If I had some time and didn't mind doing the math I could tell you exactly how much the air could heat up. I'd bet that it isn't much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually, i'm thinking more along the lines of using it in conjunction with something like my short ram intake

I'm realistically looking at getting the heat shield (will coat with ceramic if it will help keep the air cooler)

The AC thing is more out of curiosity

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It doesn't matter in your case, you're sucking up some of the warmest air possible. Under hood temps are pretty darn hot and that's where you are bringing your air in from. Nothing will change that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, there's plenty of room under that filter. it's empty all the way down (i removed ALL of the excess intake tubing and the airbox) so i can pull in fresh air, it's just keeping the rest out of the way [:D]

(ran outside at work to take some pictures)

from the top:

from the bottom:

i figure i could put in a ceramic coated heatshield to kind of point the airflow in the right direction (coming from below). i was also thinking of a minimal hood scoop near the filter. (not directly over, as to minimize water threat)

i know i can't keep out all the hot air but i'll make a concerted effort to block what i can since i don't plan on putting a filter down in the bumper. at least until i can afford the $3k for a lentech setup so i can put on a turbo [;)]

·
Registered
108 Posts
i think with a few 45 degree elbows and one straight chunk o' pipe you could be getting what you are asking for, and if you are that worried about it, think about this. the stock filter sits behind that same splash gaurd, so why would and aftermarket filter be any better/worse in the same location?????

anyone besides cruz answer this one

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
why noy wrap the exhaust with exhaust wrap to keep the heat in the pipes and cut you engine bay temp down and then make two heat shields with a space btween them with one scooping the coldist air you can get while the other can bend to the heat so as to funnel the fresh air in the middle and keep the temps better away from where u dont want them

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to joshco 84: i'm looking into the elbow idea (picked up a few at lowes). as far as the stock filter being down there, it's a completely enclosed box that pulls air from the back side of the fender (i have the tube sitting in my garage atm) so there's no way it could get any water in the box.

to sir alpha: while at lowe's today, i saw some kind of flexible metal looking insulator (looked kinda like a non see through bubble wrap) so i'm thinking about using that stuff, stuck to a more solid backing (aluminum or tin). only thing is, i'm not sure what the max temp that stuff can handle is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts