Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody, i have an 05 zx3 with the 2.0 and i want more power. i have an mbrp 2.5" cat back and a steeda cold air kit and im very happy with both, but its not enough for me. i live in california so a header is ALOT of work [i want a cat in there so that what comes out the back is good {i work @ a shop and my smog tech will pass me on the visual no prob}]. anyways i was lookin around and saw a few things that i dont know what they will do for my car [like will they work with my needs with my car]. for example cfm makes an underdrive pulley for my car, i know that underdrive pullies did alot of good on my dads mustang but to the best of my knowledge the cfm part is the same size as the stock one just lighter. so has anyone put this on their car and had any luck? next, cams. now im willin to bet that if i put a set of cams in my car it wont be easy and it would hurt my mpg [and i drive ALOT so i need all the mpg i can get {yes i know the issue with the steeda kit but i dont care its awsum and didnt hurt me that bad}] so would a set of cams be worth my time or would they just kill millage, they would do wonders for power thow. now eventually i will get a header and ive heard good things about the f2 setup. anyone have one? now when it comes to a throttle body i know that if/when i get that cosy intake manifold ill get a bigger t/b but would it do any good with the stock manifold? im not goin to forced induction cause of the milage thing and i KNOW that with how i drive i would just kill my motor. oh and nitrous is out of the question [this is an american car not a rice burner]. well ya other then that im open for power uprades that wont kill me. well im done typein now.
any and all sugestions are appreciated
thanx
tyler

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
If a visual inspection isnt a problem then get a header and get a cat welded in after. Follow up with a tune from FocusSport and youll be happy.
Ive got a TB too and dont expect anything huge HP wise, just much better response.
Cams are pointless until you do the rest of the air-in air-out stuff.

and ive heard good things about the CFM pulleys, but last time i checked they were out of stock so my money went elsewhere lol

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the underpullies have gotten good reviews from members... some of the tuners though have said they dont help much... but if it helps the response of th engine i say they are a good idea..

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Be careful installing those underdrive pulleys. There is no key, and no marks on the crank, so to be safe you'll have to set the engine at TDC, and lock the cams in with the alignment tool before you pull the crank pulley off.

As far as passing sniffers, I do not have the second cat, and the Focus was around 16 ppm without my magnetic hydrocarbon reduction mod. A good tune via SCT flasher will be likely to reduce your emissions to an acceptable level. 05's were tuned to run richer from the factory. Once I get around to installing the magnets, I'll go get another sniffer test done for kicks- it's free here, even if you don't need a new tag.

As far as fuel economy, the people who have cams have reported slight drops, and EGZ who has pistons, cams, and a rebuild making 197 hp on a D23 reported he was getting over 30, I think 35 ish with St2 cams. It will all depend on how hard you push on the accelerator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts